Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for an American builder for a crazy idea of mine

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Want a do it all kind of board. Split twin tip that can also be used as a foil board. Looking for recommendations on a custom board builder in the states that might be able to pull something like that off. Thanks

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for an American builder for a crazy idea of mine

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 am

Why not just built a shinnster style plate for a production split board? Foil boards and TT have massively different flex requirements, so I think you’ll need a detachable plate. Note that unless you are a fairly competent foiler, you probably won’t be happy with the shape/volume of a twin tip for foiling.

I did this for my foil board (not a split board) with zero experience with composites, and I’m still happy with it 2 years later. It will require 2 afternoons, $150 in material (much less if you have epoxy lying around), and a hand drill.

Lay wax paper on board (so epoxy doesn’t stick to it). Lay carbon down, some core material like marine plywood or good foam (like divinycell), more carbon, wax paper and enough weights to hold shape of board while it dries. Next day, drill holes through board and plate, add t-nuts to board. On each side of core, say 3 layers of unidirectional and 2 of bidirectional carbon fiber should be plenty stiff and strong. It takes some care to get the holes and inserts to line up, but plenty doable. I did 7 inserts total- 4 for foil mount, 1 in middle, 2 in front. Honestly, the only hard part for me was finding quality (you want 316) stainless steel t nuts, McMaster Carr has them.

Return to “Gear Builders”