Gear: Cabrinha 2014 Vector 11
Cabrinha 2017 Switcblade 8
My handmade boards-HYPERION KITEBOARDS
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Twins - Twin Tip Kiteboard Under Construction

Postby Grkite » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Beatiful twins ready to be railed and inserts epoxied.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-03-26-14-10-04.png
Screenshot_2018-03-26-14-10-01.png

Grkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Paros - Pounda
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos
Favorite Beaches: Paros-Pounda

Re: New Twins - Twin Tip Kiteboard Under Construction

Postby Grkite » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Epoxying in the living room as the basment lab was sooo humid. Let them..let them dry. ...2..3 days :) or more...
Attachments
20180320_145546.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am

Good stuff man!

So, what are the benefits of pouring it in the wood channels? ;) Probably bonding. But than, I've never had one single board delininated on rails which were not poured, and not talking about a few boards either:)

Here, it's that simple and more important - clean with nothing to go wrong like spilling the resin everywhere (done that :)

Grkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Paros - Pounda
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos
Favorite Beaches: Paros-Pounda

Postby Grkite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am

There are a number of issues for both cases..I have used ABS in the past...and wasn't so maluable. Still..my next will be with ABS .
Pooring epoxy allows me to have any 1.outine specially in the tips.2. Any width of rail..and 3.any colour.Also the bond is never going to fail as epoxy goes inside the spongy structure areas of pawlonia..
Thats the reason for spilling a bit ..as it sucks epoxy continously. .so you have to ensure that will go every where in the channel..inserts and fin holes. ..and also is very expensive as another dis. I dont care for the mess as the surfaces are going to be shaped...
In my next that pro ably will be a kite surfboard. .I will use my ABS...and you know that the process of applying have some issues. ..that still wonder how to solve. .as flaming the ABS just b4 applying the epoxy , glass/carbon and thermopress. ..I mean the wood will be burned a bit...
Where do u get these PU? Do you flame them B4 applying?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:59 am

Which issues? :)

Do you see me flaming? :) The process you see is what it is, the rails are sanded a bit before. I challenge anyone to do it faster and more feasible , cleaner, etc etc. ;)

You can do 1,2,3 with PU. Actually, the epoxy is brittle. The elongation break for epoxies (cheap ones), is way less than PU (shore 90). The PU gives you impact protection as per production boards. Not to mention cost coz PU is way less expensive.

How many bubbles you've got in the rails? That's probably more near wood line simply because this is where air is trapped and degassing (epoxy produces heat, heat will expand air bubbles). There is no way to control this. The air void can be trapped inside no matter what.

The premade PU rails eliminate this, as you see, it's very tight channel. For sure I'm using similar for inserts and fins.
And, it is highly repeatable, which diy pouring is simply not. Forget about the abs, it's too expensive and too much work.

D.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

Nice looking cores!

For the rails, you've got several options. Some people use epoxy or glass filled epoxy, some use wood, ABS, polyurethane, or even polyethylene (junksupply). Pro's and con's with each.

I can only comment on using ABS, which works fine for my construction method, i.e. pre-cut rails and spine, foam core. I've not had any bonding issues, and I simply do an alcohol clean, abrade, alcohol clean regimen.

On my wakeskates I don't bother with rails anymore as I use a cap construction. So even using rails is optional, depending on your construction method.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 am
Good stuff man!

So, what are the benefits of pouring it in the wood channels? ;) Probably bonding. But than, I've never had one single board delininated on rails which were not poured, and not talking about a few boards either:)

Here, it's that simple and more important - clean with nothing to go wrong like spilling the resin everywhere (done that :)

It's not my board but the PU you are inserting can also be poured, polyurethane is available in a bigger range than epoxy is. Anyway, I've used kwila wood for rails on my last one!

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Grkite wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm
Beatiful twins ready to be railed and inserts epoxied.
Is the surface shaped yet?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:02 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:59 am
Which issues? :)
How many bubbles you've got in the rails? That's probably more near wood line simply because this is where air is trapped and degassing (epoxy produces heat, heat will expand air bubbles). There is no way to control this. The air void can be trapped inside no matter what.
The premade PU rails eliminate this, as you see, it's very tight channel. For sure I'm using similar for inserts and fins.
And, it is highly repeatable, which diy pouring is simply not. Forget about the abs, it's too expensive and too much work.
D.
Downunder,
If his laminated wood base is dead flat then he can pour infusion epoxy which has a very low viscosity. Self levelling and the low viscosity won't hold bubbles. I'm sure it would also pour well with a dye added or with some pearlex or other colouring powder.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:25 am

^
Of course it can be poured. But, the bubbles are the killer with a PU, as we know. Try it, you'll know...Only one big bubble is needed to ruin the project.

What you see on the vid is a poured PU, since I've made them :) Have a look: http://boardbuilders-forum.1077691.n5.n ... d1034.html

As I said, we don't see production boards with epoxy rails. There is a good reason why.

Return to “Gear Builders”