Kseries
Rare Poster
Gear: LEI delta kites, twintip boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board restoration

Postby Kseries » Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 am

Hello all, I know this isn't "building" a board per se but I hope I can get help.

I have a 2007 model Slingshot Glide I bought cheap and beat the hell out of for my first season. It was in rough shape and it's only gotten worse. I'd like to remove the base and top sheets, get it down to the fiberglass, fill in any damage to the glass itself, and then restore it. A few questions:

1) Is it possible to put painted graphics under PTEX without seriously compromising the bond of the PTEX to the bottom of the board? If so, what kind of paint should be used?
2) On the top of the board, is it acceptable to simply paint the fiberglass and then coat with any kind of UV-resistant marine clearcoat?
3) How are the edges of a board treated?
4) The big one: How do you bond PTEX to the board? Just lay epoxy over the fiberglass, the PTEX over that, and then apply weight until the epoxy cures? I don't have a vacuum setup to do the really top-notch stuff.

Thanks.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Board restoration

Postby downunder » Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am

- under ptex? How under?
- no, it is normally top sheet. Won't stick.
- when? In prod or after?
- pneumatic (or mech) press, heated, rarely a vac .

Kseries
Rare Poster

Postby Kseries » Thu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Seems there's a lot I don't understand.

-I mean painting the fiberglass underlying the PTEX, which would then show through the translucent PTEX.
-I don't follow. Paint won't stick to fiberglass?
-In production. Looking at the boards I have, they seem to have some kind of treatment applied to the edges.
-Cool.

Grkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Paros - Pounda
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos
Favorite Beaches: Paros-Pounda
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 Vector 11
Cabrinha 2017 Switcblade 8
My handmade boards-HYPERION KITEBOARDS

Postby Grkite » Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm

-Yes you can paint the fiberglass but with paints that wont react with the epoxy otherwise will become very blurry. The paints will need to be probably pigmented epoxy and then within time limits to paint over?? SO probably not....
-Grit with 80 gr/m2 withour reaching the glass fiber....difficult..... and paint....again you wont have such a good surface for painting...but after you can apply the resin and let it dry...even that is not easy....
-The shapping..profiling of rails is a matter of type of kiteboard you want/use. You can use a 200grit to slowly give shape you want...
-You need a thermopress....

Used it in one board before..PTEX 0.8..is not an easy material to apply...but stong as hell...for slidders in kiteparks probably...

Grkite
Medium Poster
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos

Postby Grkite » Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm

And the solution is...forget the graphics and save just the core...so you will need to pill off the top and bottm sheets...and then if you are lucky and no fiberglass is not taken out....then slightly grind both surfaces...and then as you say apply fiberglass and epoxy and better use abs as botoom and top....

Kseries
Rare Poster

Postby Kseries » Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Grkite wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm
And the solution is...forget the graphics and save just the core
I'm not interested in saving the graphics currently on the board. Half the point of doing this project is that the board is kind of ugly.
Grkite wrote:Used it in one board before..PTEX 0.8..is not an easy material to apply...but stong as hell...for slidders in kiteparks probably...
I wish. No, this is 0.4mm. I just wanted it to stand up to the odd scrape on the coral around here.

I'm not especially concerned with the profile of the rails (I'm not a good enough rider to tell the difference anyway.) I'm just asking this: When I look at the rail of the kiteboard, am I seeing just fiberglass, or is some material laid over to protect it?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu May 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Ive meant epoxy won't stick to the topsheet on top of it. It sticks only on bottom of topsheet coz it's corona treated.
No idea how rails are bonded, every brand is different. Some are pouring PU into the core, etc.
If the bottom is done from corals, well, that's it.

Grkite
Medium Poster
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos

Postby Grkite » Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:51 pm
Ive meant epoxy won't stick to the topsheet on top of it. It sticks only on bottom of topsheet coz it's corona treated.
No idea how rails are bonded, every brand is different. Some are pouring PU into the core, etc.
:D If the bottom is done from corals, well, that's it.......so funny

Grkite
Medium Poster
Naxos-Mikri vigla
Mastichari-Kos

Postby Grkite » Thu May 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Kseries wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm
Grkite wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm
And the solution is...forget the graphics and save just the core
I'm not interested in saving the graphics currently on the board. Half the point of doing this project is that the board is kind of ugly.
Grkite wrote:Used it in one board before..PTEX 0.8..is not an easy material to apply...but stong as hell...for slidders in kiteparks probably...
I wish. No, this is 0.4mm. I just wanted it to stand up to the odd scrape on the coral around here.

I'm not especially concerned with the profile of the rails (I'm not a good enough rider to tell the difference anyway.) I'm just asking this: When I look at the rail of the kiteboard, am I seeing just fiberglass, or is some material laid over to protect it?
Ok then..start trying peeling of the top and bottom sheet...is a dirty work..ware gloves ..not nitrile...and pull ...
But it will be better to send a photo...two...to see the condition...and then tell you if you should do that...also for the rails....because as it sounds your board doesnt have a rail....(ABS/TPU ot PU or HMPE or EPOXy resin with fille??)...so two photos to see how bad is the top/bottom sheets and the rails to see what is about....

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Fri May 11, 2018 1:59 am

Grkite wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:51 pm
:D If the bottom is done from corals, well, that's it.......so funny
Yes, better from corals than something else ;)

Return to “Gear Builders”