Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

milling out aluminum fuselage

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 am

so last year slingshot teased us with a "pro fuselage" that was adaptable to the carbon Moses masts....essentially making a hover glide a poor mans carbon foil

fast fwd and we aren't getting it...

how can I mill out a hover glide fuselage to adapt to a Moses mast? if it was composites it would just be cast and mold and so on...but milling out aluminum to good measurements seems to baffle me...the screw holes are 8mm on the fuselage and perfectly spaced for the 6mm holes on the mast...

on Seabreeze a dude took an aluminum mast and put it on his Moses hydrofoil :o

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: milling out aluminum fuselage

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 pm

If I understand correctly...

Drill the holes, tap them for 8mm. Very carefully.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

The Moses Mast has a tapered tenon ( read: mortice and tenon) . So youll have to mill a tapered mortice exactly to that form.
Youll need CAD data and CNC mill to do it or a custom made mill bit and some very accurate manual milling skills.

Its probably to do a ghetto version by milling the mortice without taper, then " potting" the moses mast tenon into the mortice to form the taper with some exoxy. Put release on mast tenon and cover screw holes.

You would be better off just selling your set-up and buying the Moses set-up with fuselage and wings.

I have Moses set-up. The moses alu fuselage is heavy - wings and mast are light.
Slingshot mast is heavy, fuselage heavy, but wings are super heavy.
So i dont see what you are gaining by using the carbon mast with same fuselage and heavy wings. Its the wings that make the biggest difference because they hang out there on the end of the mast.

If my memory serves me right: that guy on seabreeze put a moses alu fuslelage and carbon wings onto an aluminum mast - that makes more sense.

Best in order:
Carbon mast, fuselage and wings
Carbon mast , wings , alu fuselage
Carbon wings, alu mast and fuslage

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm
The Moses Mast has a tapered tenon ( read: mortice and tenon) . So youll have to mill a tapered mortice exactly to that form.
Youll need CAD data and CNC mill to do it or a custom made mill bit and some very accurate manual milling skills.

Its probably to do a ghetto version by milling the mortice without taper, then " potting" the moses mast tenon into the mortice to form the taper with some exoxy. Put release on mast tenon and cover screw holes.

You would be better off just selling your set-up and buying the Moses set-up with fuselage and wings.

I have Moses set-up. The moses alu fuselage is heavy - wings and mast are light.
Slingshot mast is heavy, fuselage heavy, but wings are super heavy.
So i dont see what you are gaining by using the carbon mast with same fuselage and heavy wings. Its the wings that make the biggest difference because they hang out there on the end of the mast.

If my memory serves me right: that guy on seabreeze put a moses alu fuslelage and carbon wings onto an aluminum mast - that makes more sense.

Best in order:
Carbon mast, fuselage and wings
Carbon mast , wings , alu fuselage
Carbon wings, alu mast and fuslage
This!

Also if you have to ask then you dont have the tooling/knowledge to complete the task. If you go to a milling shop the price to jig, 3d model, programme and cut the taper will be too high. You are better off to sell your foil and buy the Moses foil and be done with it.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 am

Yea I’m pretty good with wood, but aluminum is a different ball game, I’m out

Thanks for the info

I have a Moses 590 but wanted a cheap 633 with the new slingshot infinity wing, might just deal with the weight

Return to “Gear Builders”