Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My first kitesurf board! Eps Foam okay ?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: My first kitesurf board! Eps Foam okay ?

Postby fluidity » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:36 am

I'm waiting on about NZ $450 worth of 10mm thick M-foam and glass fibre from Gurit. I reckon it's enough to build 6 higher wind robust kiteboards. The foam is expensive until you buy it in bulk, then it's not so much. I wouldn't use EPS though, wrong characteristics and absorbs water too easily. I love Paulownia for boards and have made several but a proper marine grade foam combines impact strength with tensile strength at a good weight. It is less environmentally friendly but for those who think a wood cored board is an eco save, they are ignorant of all the other chemical processes that go into board manufacture. For a surf board, you will need composite fabrics to keep it curving right or pick a specially curved tree and make just the right cuts! Or laminate the board from sheets of Paulownia and glue it into the right curves.

Dimitrios
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Athens
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Airush union +tt
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dimitrios » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 am

Hey, many thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it!

I spoke a bit further with Tom, who gave me some more guidance on the matter, and currently im investigating deeper on shaping PU-foam.

We had some extreme wild-fire disaster here in Greece so it has taken my attention for the time being.

Will come back with some more questions soon as i think i dont quite understand how the shaping of bottom and top-sheet is done.

Dar73
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Inland.... no beaches.
Favorite Beaches: Witsand
Gear: Homemade Twintip. 10m Blade Trigger. 8m North Neo.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dar73 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Just get an eps blank and go for it, you will not regret the feeling of cruising on a sled you built yourself. The reward and satisfaction is immense and addictive. For inspiration, if you are on Facebook join Backyard Surfboard Shapers.... you will be amazed at what some of the new guys are producing and at the same time realize that it is totally possible create a great ride with your own hands.

Don't stress if you make mistakes.... chop it out/tear it off and do it again.

Return to “Gear Builders”