NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Releasble kiteboard-for boot riders

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:15 pm

1.If you only have one side release you could be in for even worse injuries
2. Why the hell do you wear shorts over your wetsuit?

mkat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton, Melbourne
Favorite Beaches: Geraldton, WA
Style: free
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mkat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:08 am

slim_charles,
Boots are released simultaneously- that was the main objective of the design ( see the first two posts).
The force is determined by the stiffness of the carbon fiber spring ( the amount of layers in it)- from a very mild one to no release in my trials.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm

mkat wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:08 am
Boots are released simultaneously
:thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Sure this is great for your average rider that does not ride that hard just mows the lawn with small jumps and very few tricks. But dialing up the release for real world forces like actual wake boarding or a hard riding pro I doubt this has any advantage. I wakeboard as well as kite and the last thing I want is a mechanical release inadvertently coming loose on a transfer or gaping a rail. Not to mention doing air tricks.

Honestly managing risks is a better way to avoid injuries than devices.

To the inventor I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. I am going thru the process of setting up surgery on my left ankle for what sounds like the same thing you had. I did mine taking off power paragliding in loose sand. I do respect your engineering spirit but I think your trying reinvent the hammer. I am with all the major board companies on this one.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 am

I think the main question here is with what forces does the board get released, maybe expressed in G-force. Everybody knows that a lot of power can be generated when you land tricks not ideally but still OK. Also you dont want the board to release when initiating a jump/trick. I can imagine that if you fall forward with the board like in the movies it would be very beneficial. And how easy is it to put the boots back on in the water?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am

TheJoe wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:15 pm
Sure this is great for your average rider that does not ride that hard just mows the lawn with small jumps and very few tricks. But dialing up the release for real world forces like actual wake boarding or a hard riding pro I doubt this has any advantage. I wakeboard as well as kite and the last thing I want is a mechanical release inadvertently coming loose on a transfer or gaping a rail. Not to mention doing air tricks.

Honestly managing risks is a better way to avoid injuries than devices.

To the inventor I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. I am going thru the process of setting up surgery on my left ankle for what sounds like the same thing you had. I did mine taking off power paragliding in loose sand. I do respect your engineering spirit but I think your trying reinvent the hammer. I am with all the major board companies on this one.
From the OP's videos and responses it appears as if you can set the bindings to "no release" - I assume this means no auto-release, but you can still manually release with the handle.
The click-in and go, and manual one-handed immediate release are big selling points to me.

PS. I wakeboard as well.

mkat
Rare Poster

Postby mkat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am

TheJoe,
Ankle joints are the worst to rehab- I had a tendon transfer op- took me a year to get pain free.
The second video (testing the release and going at 60 km/h behind the boat) was made at 6 month postoperative-it pushed me back 3 months -so be patient there.
The release function- no binding is perfect but skiers still land their aerials on releasables.
And the stats are they save more joints then destroy.

Rynhardt,Kitemenn,
“No automatic release “ is correct.
Entering the bindings -takes about 5 seconds (one handed, in the surf) but it needs about 10 min of practice to make sure one can do it “ blindly”. It is way easier when used as a wakeboard.
Issues of grading the release force,difference in stance ( if it ever goes commercial) - will leave them for better technical minds and materials.
The design did its job for me- the boots kept my ankle safe post op, the bindings released when I wanted it to release and was fun to make.
Most importantly it gave me a chance to discuss it with the likeminded people.
Good winds!

mkat
Rare Poster

Postby mkat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:02 am

Kitemenn,
If you are interested about the forces around bindings and joints here is a link to one of the patents I used as a reference:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2012074864A1/en

They did a great job researching the subject but I do not think it lead to any practical application..

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 am

Its def interesting. Although I do get that research and interest might still be limited as there are no huge financial benefits as the market might be limited! But great you post it out there and def get some people to think about it! Love the spirit that you rather see it being used while not getting any financial compensation than it completely gets forgotten and everybody missed out on an opportunity (a new development in the kite industry)

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:20 pm

mkat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am
TheJoe,
Ankle joints are the worst to rehab- I had a tendon transfer op- took me a year to get pain free.
The second video (testing the release and going at 60 km/h behind the boat) was made at 6 month postoperative-it pushed me back 3 months -so be patient there.
The release function- no binding is perfect but skiers still land their aerials on releasables.
And the stats are they save more joints then destroy.
Thanks. Lucky for me my torn tendon is only a grade 1 tear so hopefully I will not be out as long as you were. My main issue is the tendons and torn cartilage. Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery.

I guess I'll explain a little better why I don't think your invention will get picked up by the board manufacturers. The biggest market for wake and kite is park riding. It has the largest user base just because of the ease and base price to jump in at. Buy a board, boots, helmet, and a vest and show up. Cable parks are blowing up around the world and allow the masses the availability to wake-board. Far cheaper than paying for gas to go out on a boat and definitely cheaper than a boat. As far as kiting goes it's got the same high cost to start, a steep learning curve and it's weather dependent.

So if you look at park riding with rail riding being the biggest part of it your design leaves a few problems. First and probably the largest problem is it will effect the flex of the board. Cable boards are being made to be more flexible for nose presses. All so the different impacts your board goes thru from gaping, transferring, or even ollieing up on a rail could make your system to release because the whole board twists and flexes in all ways and degrees. All so what about different stance width's? I can't see if your design is one size fits all or adjustable.

Now maybe if the design was more like ski bindings and independent of the center piece maybe it would be more marketable. I just think the simple inserts are hard to beat.

Return to “Gear Builders”