Kite spots near Peniche

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite spots near Peniche

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 am

Hi!

Planning to rent a house near Óbidos next summer. What are good spots to kite in the area? How do the winds compare in this area with Guincho? How long a drive is it from Óbidos to Guincho?

Thank you for any advice!

Flyboy

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Re: Kite spots near Peniche

Postby SimonP » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 am

I visited way back in 2007. The beach at Peniche is quite good to kite at. It is much less windy the Guincho but less gusty too. Distance is over 100 km, it would take over an hour to drive there.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 am

if you are coming to kite then better to rent an house in Peniche as you will be closer to where the action is, although reckon Óbidos is a prettier town

i do not use much Peniche in the summer, from what i heard from the local crew those guys are with 10 / 12m kites during that time of the year

there are plenty of beaches relatively close to Peniche - areia branca, ericeira, santa cruz.

on the north, around 15 mint away, you will have lagoa de Óbidos (flatwater location)

be carefull that some places may be off-limit to kite during summer time, best is to ask the local crew once you got there

As Simon said Guincho is around 1 hour away from Peniche if you take the highway, a 7m, gusty. most people who ride there are into waves
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 pm

find spots on www.splocs.com

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 am

I am not there just to kitesurf, as I will be with my family & will be renting a villa in the hills near Obidos.

I have read through the various threads concerning Portugal & looked at the beaches on Splocs, but I still don't have a clear understanding of the wind along the Atlantic coast of Portugal. In general, is it windier further north, or further south, or are certain spots windier than others for some particular reason. Is Guincho windier than anywhere else in this area? Is it something particular about the topography of Guincho?

Finally, is it permitted to kite in the Obidos lagoon in the summer (would be a good spot for my daughter, who is learning to kite).

Thank you for any & all information!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am

rough guideline => summer wind is thermal, appears at around 14.00/15.00, NW direction, valid for all atlantic coast, wind being strong further up North than South (Guincho being an exception)

The better part of Óbidos lagoon will be closed to kite between 15 June->15 Sept, see attach, the area between the red ´square´ is off-limits. I miss to know how much enforced this rule is outside the summer peak season (August).

In the North shore of the lagoon, for the East side, there is a small sailing school that also teach people to kite. It is a relaxed, family friend place and it worth to go there if not to kite (the wind is a bit gusty inside the lagoon), at least to have a snack and check with those folks what the ´real´ rules in the lagoon are.

If you plan a trip to Lisbon for site seeing you may want to mix it with an afternoon kite at Costa da Caparica (Nova Vaga spot), in Lisbon south margin. Conditions are mellow (10/12m) and the weather is perfect for just getting some sun. Avoid going there in the week-end as half the city will be heading into the same direction.

Guincho is better mixed with a visit to Sintra, but if it is pumping it is not a beginner place as there is little room for errors, you need to know what you´re doing. Also, your wife/kid will have a hard time in the sand if you miss to rent a half a dozen wind shields, lol. It is not as bad as it may sound but definitely harsher than Costa, beautiful place although.

As a note - please always check with locals for the un-written rules of the place.
Attachments
edital%20lagoa%20obidos.png
edital%20lagoa%20obidos.png (198.37 KiB) Viewed 6423 times

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Thank you Tiago!

My Portuguese is a bit rusty, but am I right in thinking that the letter concerning the lagoon is written in the name of the Ministry of Defense? :-? What's that all about? So, in effect there would be no kiting in the lagoon at all during the middle of the summer? Is there some military reason for this ... or just because there are a lot of other beach goers?

It sounds as though there IS some special thermal/venturi that makes Guincho windier than most other spots. Other than that, windier further north because the ocean water is cooler, creating a stronger thermal effect?

Do you think it would be reasonable to take only a 10m & 7m kite & leave the 13m at home?

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 pm

ahahah, no, no military reasons. it´s just as local organization goes, seaside falls into the jurisdiction of the navy, thus under the ministry of defense

the water is colder up north, as outside weather.

Guincho is close to Sintra mountain range and somehow this take a big toll in local conditions.

i´ll leave the explanation on how all this affect wing strength to others, not that i don´t like to understand things but there´s a point i quit trying understand what´s going on in God´s mind :)

on a more practical note:
if you want to ride in Guincho most probably you will need the 7m. But then this kite size is pretty useless in all other spots around.

Between the 10m and the 13m pick 1 of those 2, guess they won´t be miles apart and you´ll be able to have time in the water with one or the other

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:55 am

Thanks again Tiago.

I'll probably take the 13m, 10m & 7m. There will be 4 of us traveling, so not that hard to take an extra kite. So is the lagoon at Obidos out of bounds for kiting in the summer just because of the presence of other beachgoers? That's too bad, because it would be an ideal spot for my kids to practice kiting.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 am

yeah, main reason is to prevent acidents with the beachgoers

the Western side of the lagoon is closed to kite - the area inside the red square on the picture, unfurtunatly this is the better part

you can still go and kite there - either in the North (look for the sailing school, but it´s a bit gusty), or then approach the lagoon by the South and use the area close to the off limit border, think it´s "kitable"

as said I don´t go there often in the summer, so ask around once you get to Peniche

Return to “Kitesurfing”