naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Trip entire coast of Portugal

Postby naishdude » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Guy's,
we want to make a trip along the portugese coast, entering Portugal from Sevilla, and working our way up to the north along the coast.
We are not especially looking for flat water, waves ok but not the monsterwaves, we are not used to it or trained for it, experience is up to 2 m max but not a lot of water inbetween, hope the atlantic sweel will make that easier, we do ride directional boards strapped and strapless and jibing is not a problem.

Any tips on spots, and the do's and don'ts, were do we have to look out for, we travel with a camper and would like to stay as close to the beach as possible,
the traveling period will be from beginning April till end of May.
every tip is welcome, from spots, dangers, rules etc!
thx
dude :cool2:

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Trip entire coast of Portugal

Postby Dirk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Nice trip, I love Portugal.
- windy season usually is from May-August
- Portugal´s prime and legendary spot is Guincho at Cascais/lisbon area. Can range from harmless to hardcore (then it´s up to 4m waves and nuking winds). But do not miss to visit, the beach and the view is spectacular
- Viana do Castello up North is nice and more mellow than Guincho
- Usual wind direction is North West (trade wind) which is not that strong. Get´s accelerated at certain spots due to landscape and thermal effects, for example at Guincho and Viana
- Lot´s of spots in between which I unfortunately not have been yet
- water is cold, take a proper wetsuit 4/3 or 3/2 mm
- take all kite sizes which you have
- Portugal is one of the best countries for surfing in Europe, take surfboard, boogie board, SUP for windless days.
- Visit Lisbon, wonderful city
- Eat pasteis de nata (custard pastry) and drink galao (their caffe latte version)

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm

as said you´re coming a bit too early, if you could postpone by ~1 month would be better

in the south the biggest community are ridding in Faro and Alvor, not sure the exact spot locations as i´m from away. Not really a great coast for waves, although I heard that when it´s blowing SE it´s great (to the point of having guys from Lisbon going there just to ride those conditions)

In Lisbon you got Guincho, who could be hard to handle, but as well as any beach within Costa da Caparica (just google it to know where it is) that works with N / NW. In case it´s South then it will be raining but also windy - head to Carcavelos.

North of Lisbon I know Peniche - search for Baleal if N/NW, or Supertubos if South

Further north for waves I don´t know much, but overall there are thousands of spots along the west coast, just pick whatever you like

April/May is off-season, meaning you won´t have to care about any special rules, just use common sense and enjoy your staying

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:42 am

Thank you both for the information!
Unfortunately we cannot travel in the other periods, but what the hell we are traveling and whatever comes our side we will try to enjoy it.
We can kite all year (retired :D ) so a couple of days without wind is no problem.
I have 11/9/7/5 m kites
Board airush cypher 5'8 light wind onshore and airush compact 5'6 for more wind .
So that will do the trick!
Each time we come to a new beach l will ask the locals for some location info, if any are there.
Supertubos looks great too, when the waves are moderate for sure a place to keep in mind ( just saw a movie of it!)

Thank you both!
Any other info is welcome!

Thanks
Frank ....( Belgium)

Return to “Kitesurfing”