Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

What am I doing wrong!!?

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 am

I started kiting 9 months ago and I love it! Best sport in the world. I have good kite control. And love jumping as high as I can. But I feel limited. What am I doing wrong? I posted a video in here. Maybe someone can see the way I steer my kite to tell me why I'm not getting higher.

Would appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by Kitemanmuc on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: What am I doing wrong!!?

Postby edt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:42 pm

looking great brah! You can't jump much higher than that at the wind speed and board speed you are going, you are redirecting properly solid landing, nice timing on the takeoff. I wish I had been this good at only 1 year experience. If you want to get any higher at that wind speed, here's s little trick, instead of going on a beam reach or even slightly close-hauled, 2 or 3 seconds before you jump go on a broad reach, this will build up your speed by a tiny bit, then right before you jump, go back into a beam reach, pop off the water and jump. this will get you another meter or so. You aren't doing anything wrong tho, looks great.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:56 pm

edt wrote:looking great brah! You can't jump much higher than that at the wind speed and board speed you are going, you are redirecting properly solid landing, nice timing on the takeoff. I wish I had been this good at only 1 year experience. If you want to get any higher at that wind speed, here's s little trick, instead of going on a beam reach or even slightly close-hauled, 2 or 3 seconds before you jump go on a broad reach, this will build up your speed by a tiny bit, then right before you jump, go back into a beam reach, pop off the water and jump. this will get you another meter or so. You aren't doing anything wrong tho, looks great.

Agreed, you could try to bear away by about 20* before you load up and send the kite. A good way to practice this is to be on a dead beam reach, sheet all the way in and let your board track downwind for a second...you'll feel the bar start to pull harder and harder, that's when I know I'm going fast enough to really launch it. You can also get yourself another meter or two by doing it out in the surf and launching off a wavetop 8)

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Awesome! Thanks guys. Ill give that a try. I'm also thinking maybe I stop drinking so much beer and drop a couple pounds. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”