Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Taken for a ride ...

Lots of valuable articles from Rick Iossi, FKA Inc.
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Taken for a ride ...

Postby RickI » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:43 pm

In early gangster movies, this had a serious, negative connotation. Like you were off to be fitted with cement overshoes.

In kiteboarding it is sometimes just as bad. I am curious how many people when they have jumped on or nearshore were suddenly and without warning "taken for a ride" or had their jump extended?

Eric Eck had his little jump over some lines in Oahu a few years ago extended into an almost minute long lofting to about 225 ft. high when he did his little jump into apparent uplift lofting conditions.

I did my little bunny hop years ago, AGAIN escaping gravity, when a strong gust hit and ka-pow inland I flew into a smash in.

I heard of a case recently with a small nearshore transition jump turning into a fast flight inland without warning resulting in injury.

I am sure there have been other examples of this, that is:

1. Jumping , escaping gravity thereby SUBSTANTIALLY reducing the wind speed needed to move you downwind.

2. Being picked up by a sudden gust that hit right at the worst time.

3. Being blown willy nilly downwind into ?

So, how about it, who has been though this? Injury isn't a necessary part of the stories, it would be great if there weren't any. It would even be good to hear of suddenly extended jumps while still offshore.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT IS BEST TO PICK YOUR KITE AND WEATHER CAREFULLY, LAUNCH YOUR KITE UNHOOKED AND GET WELL OFFSHORE PRONTO AND STAY THERE UNTIL TIME TO COME IN. LAND UNHOOKED AS WELL USING GOOD PRACTICE.

NO JUMPING ON OR NEARSHORE, UNLESS ...

you want to risk being taken for a ride someday.

reposted from: phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2311655&start=0&p ... highlight=

Return to “FKA, RickI”