Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Cabrinha Drifter 9m
Naish Haze
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

stance on a surfboard

Postby KitingT-rex » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

I have been surfing for years now and I have started kitesurfing with the special interest in strapless waveriding. I recently landed my first backroll and I think it is time to make the switch to a directional (which will be an old shortboard of mine)

My question is, is the stance on a surfboard while kiting upwind through the chop very different than on a twintip.

Also when on a wave how is the stance different from surfing?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Re: stance on a surfboard

Postby topmick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Yes, different stance on SB (most weight on your front foot) compared to a TT (most weight on back foot).

Moze
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Carcavelos, Costa Caparica, Ericeira (Portugal)
Favorite Beaches: Guincho
Paracuru
Style: Free ride
Gear: BEST CABO\KAHOONA 7, 9, 11
Been thanked: 0

Postby Moze » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 am

Despite of being a post regarding 2010, I am crossing this stage and really can confirm it. Just changed from TT to SB because I surf since 'ever' and going upwind on SB by instinct I moved my body forward to grab the rail and stabilize the board.

Tacking is the next challenge.

Last kite spot Paracuru . Fortaleza, Brazil

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 pm

There is no such thing as "the stance" on a surfboard.

Different surfboards are ridden in different ways.
Different fin setups also change the way a board rides.

Most surfboard companies boards have straps that re very rear mounted.
As a result they need to be ridden shifting your weight as far forward as possible because of the strap positioning, but in the end your weight is pretty much in the same area as a twin tip.
In general popping your foot out of the back strap and moving it forward will help when going upwind.

IMO surfboards are best ridden strapless. Strapless lets you move all over the board and as a result you will get better performance pretty much in all directions.

With some of my boards I an so far forward when going upwind that I have more board behind me than in front.

Also good surfboards have a nice surf oriented rocker... so they are really nice in surf...
this however will effect your upwind performance unless you use the best positioning of your weight and rail to fin use (ride the fins or the rail).

I have a fish board (Dick Van Straalen Rasta Fish) that rides really nicely upwind on modified Shea Sheppard fins, but is best ridden with the board quite flat (not on it's rail) using the fins... sort of like a rave board.

I have another board a mini gun (6'8"... skinny with a narrow tail) with an elevon fin setup (fins with lateral miniature foils). The board and fin setup charges upwind really well, but does so best when on it's rail. The elevon fins kick in really well when the board is on it's rail. Normal fins lose a lot of bite when you put a surf board way over on its rail. The Elevon foil on the other hand pushes you upwind when you edge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”