Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

quad vs two fins?

Forum for kitesurfers
IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

quad vs two fins?

Postby IanNJ » Wed May 06, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm not a thruster fan. Love the quad set up. What's the deal with a two fin set? I was thinking of trying this with a LF 4'10" Little Phatty.

The background is I had the big fins in the back and the little fins on the side (yes this is backwards) and the board went upwind much nicer. When I ride it regular it struggles upwind...maybe I need bigger fins? anyway I like the slashy feeling of a quad so wanted to know about the dual set up.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: quad vs two fins?

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:42 am

Interesting fin setup.

I think I might give the following combinations a go on my nugget .......

1. big @ front, little @ rear (normal setup)
2. little @ front, big @ rear
3. big @ front only
4. big @ rear only

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:25 am

please keep posting your findings in different fin setups for quad fin boards! i have a custom waveboard with a quad fin setup (154 x 45cm). i have tried different setups a while ago, some where nice but there was no perfect one unfortunately. right now i ordered some new fins to resume testing...

i want to find a setup with not so much drag in high speed turns. this will also lead to better upwind and lowwind performance.

one setup that works well for good kite power, sharp turns would be 2x10cm front and 2x9cm back.

i will try larger fins in 2 fin setups next.

h.

sailcalifornia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: socal
Favorite Beaches: seal
Gear: swith element SS Angry swallow

Postby sailcalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:36 pm

just picked up a new board, Slingshot Angry Swallow. It has the option to run any combo or 5 fins.

Wanted to see what the general consensus was on setups to achieve different goals, like best of up wind, best for speed and wave kiting.

thanks,
JBL

panic
Medium Poster

Postby panic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 am

I'm a big fan of twinnies for both kiting and surfing. IMHO, with kiting compared to surfing you require so much less drive off the fins to generate your speed down the line, you can get by with a looser fin setup as long as you have enough fin area to avoid blowing out the bottom turn. I use MR-TFX twin fins in my go-to kitesurf board.

Twins can be twitchy in bigger waves but I think they are super fun in anything up to about 1' overhead.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Designing fin positions for twins is harder than thruster or quad. Done right the performance can be very similar. Of course more fins is more fin in the water. Things like upwind and grip can be affected negatively. You do lose weight and airs become easier as such. Back/front fin size combos can act virtually like moving a twin fin position.

There is also many things that can be done to board design to emulate the effect of fins. A well designed board with no fins can exceed a poorly designed one with fins. Combine with twin fins interesting things can happen.

Kaito
Frequent Poster
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown
strapless kite surfboards

Postby Kaito » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:33 am

I preffered a quad set up with my FW Hellfire, then outta curiosity removed both rear (smaller) fins, and put one of them in the center rear slot. Result; a really fun, slashy thruster with great upwind! Give it a go! You just might find it a fun compromise : )

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:25 am

hehe this is one slow thread - i like it...

i got my formaly quad setup board back yesterday. now it has got five boxes. next thing i'll try is a tracker setup featuring my twist sanded trackers.

h.
Attachments
twisttracker.JPG
fivebox.JPG

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 am

2016 vs 1975

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 pm

What are you trying to say there?

Return to “Kitesurfing”