Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

quad vs two fins?

Forum for kitesurfers
holden
Medium Poster

Re: quad vs two fins?

Postby holden » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

the small cut out at the base of my tracker kind of reminds one of the fin experiments for windsurfing of the 70' and 80'. is that it?

i strongly belive that to reduce the drag created by tracker fins you need to let them point inwards close to the board but they need to be parallel further down. i think this is the only way to make a fast board (that is not too wide) with good traction in sharp turns and good lowwind and upwind properties.

i might be wrong but i need to see for myself to finally know.

h.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:26 pm

To add to the questions, if not answers:

Anyone try MR or AMT twin fin sets, plus or minus the small trailer, for kiting?
Like these:Image

Anyone run future controller front fins (good for huge lift to get you upwind in light wind) with a single rear fin?

I often ride a paipo with small keels, love the combination of drive and easy sliding once you break the keels free.
Also ride an old jimmy lewis thruster board, but without the trailer...

I recently got a round tail fish hybrid I have run with controllers, it's nice upwind but but I'd like a little looser feel on the wave.

any thoughts?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat May 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I just put these F2s on my quad. Area is about 1Sq in less. They still look massive.

When this board is in quad mode, there is no way I can get it break out. Board is super fast and easy to turn and carve and change carve radius under full load. Still, would like it to less locked in, be able to push out tail on waves. There are no smaller quads than the F4. I thought of putting nubsters on rears and keeping quad forwards. couldn't find an online shop with 2 in Stock and they want like 20 bucks each for them!!

So I'll try these twins. See what happens, wind tomorrow.

If they work I can use twins on my designs, fewer boxes, opens up som other ideas for more bonzer style bottoms.

I don't think these twins in solid fiberglass are lighter than the F4 in pic.
2016-05-21 14.03.26.jpg
2016-05-21 14.04.49.jpg
2016-05-21 14.04.29.jpg

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sat May 21, 2016 10:01 pm

try controller fronts or similar keel fin with smallest flexible rear thermoplastic fin I run this setup on a 6-2 Vanguard goes very light wind and still turns nice and doesn't feel draggy

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun May 22, 2016 8:17 pm

I was out on a 12m kite today on the twin pictured. Chop, small 2ft wind waves.
Balance point of board is a bit more forward, turns and carves more drawn-out and more difficult to change carve radius mid carve. Board still turns good, but less dynamic.
Goes upwind better, noticeable right away, easy to point board at slightly different upwind angles, the quad is more squirrelly and takes attention to keep it pointed in one direction.
Can push out tail easier.
Bearing off wind seems to be faster and more drive in drawn out wider carves down faces of swell.

I like the feel going upwind and wide carves, but missing the snappy dynamic turns.
Wonder if higher aspect twins would be better. Like this one:
factory_product_shots_twinkeel_akila.jpg
I'll try it one more time and switch fins mid session.

sailcalifornia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: socal
Favorite Beaches: seal
Gear: swith element SS Angry swallow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sailcalifornia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:55 pm

BWD wrote:To add to the questions, if not answers:

Anyone try MR or AMT twin fin sets, plus or minus the small trailer, for kiting?
Like these:Image

any thoughts?
i just put the MR's on my 2015 slingshot angry swallow
http://www.surffcs.com/shop/surf-specia ... pc-tri-set

i had been running it with the provided fins as a quad but lost a fin during a session last week.

I ran the Mr's with the trailing fin and will try without it soon. I can say that the upwind performance was SIGNIFICANTLY better with the MR's than the quad setup i was running. I am not the best wave rider and i am not ripping the snappiest or turns so hard for me to comment on that aspect of the change but everything felt good.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 am

panic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 am
I'm a big fan of twinnies for both kiting and surfing. IMHO, with kiting compared to surfing you require so much less drive off the fins to generate your speed down the line, you can get by with a looser fin setup as long as you have enough fin area to avoid blowing out the bottom turn. I use MR-TFX twin fins in my go-to kitesurf board.

Twins can be twitchy in bigger waves but I think they are super fun in anything up to about 1' overhead.
Agree completely. If your thruster (tri fin) fins are big enough just ditch the trailer fin and you'll have a blast until it gets really big, then you will have to put in the center fin to prevent sliding out on big bottom turns.

Return to “Kitesurfing”