Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki Lagoon
Style: wake
Gear: Naish,Epic,Crazyfly,Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What s the best board for kiting and surfing

Postby kitingadventure » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:40 am

Hi There,I'm an intermediate kite surfer looking to take on wave surfing but am wondering if there is a good surfboard I can use for surfing as well as kitesurfing ,I'm 5"10 and 60kg.
Would really appreciate any input ,cheers

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What s the best board for kiting and surfing

Postby Starsky » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:59 am

The better surfer you are the easier that is to do. You might be better off to get a cheap surfboard thats bigger than you would ever kite for a while.

Once your able to catch waves on something under 30L of volume, Yeah, there are tons. Generally your going to be looking at small wave shapes in as small as you dare go and still hope to paddle it. They work great in light to med kite conditions. Once its windy your alway kiting on something only rock stars can paddle. You gotta have chops to paddle a board in the 25 L range.

Learning to catch waves on something too small is usually a fail.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:48 pm

X2 on advice above.

Assume you don't yet surf? Most beginners start surfing on big boards then progress smaller as they improve. Way easier to paddle and balance until you learn how to find more speed. Learning surfing on a small performance border is recipe for frustration for most people.

Once you're a competent surfer I think firewire potatonator might be a decent middle ground for combo surf and kite board. Enough volume that an intermediate surfer can paddle it...short enough to kite too. Though it's a handful in higher wind or bigger waves. I use it for light wind wave chasing.

With any hybrid middle ground solution, there's a question of whether you are getting "best of both worlds" or actually losing ground to get "best of neither"....which is how we end up with garages full of specialized boards! LOL

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul

Postby JessicaWinkler » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Honestly the selection of surfboard from RRD are amazing. I've rode A LOT of different boards and i've never felt a board that was so responsive, light and soft on the knees. The entire reason I choose to be sponsored by RRD is because of the quality and excellent design of their surfboards
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equi ... te-boards/
This Maquina is the best!!
Attachments
maquina-k-438x721.png

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:56 pm

JessicaWinkler wrote:The entire reason I choose to be sponsored by RRD is because of the quality and excellent design of their surfboards
Really? The whole reason I keep refusing sponsors is to truly be free!

Only those who buy gear have any real choice.

Maybe the Balena or the Assopigliatutto if he's a rock star swimmer.

Dudes asking as a newb surfer..... biggest board in the whole line is 33L. Doable.... but not the easy way.

She's on the money as far as the thread title tho. Those look to be proper surfboards, but nobody is learning to surf on em. RRD make plenty of other boards for that.... they make everything!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 am

1. Purchase a 9' mal for surfing (u will keep this forever and can learn on it)

2. Buy a kite surfboard or a second hand surfboard that is so small you would never have a chance in hell of paddling it. - 5'6 - 6'1 - will be perfect and fun for kiting

or just buy an RRD 5'11 - too funny!

kito16
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marina di Grosseto
Style: Race

Postby kito16 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 pm

Hello, I have this table (5'8") of a known local shaper ( http://www.twinsbros.net/shop/surfboard ... -wave/rdx/ ). Of course with the kite with big waves i feel the need for something with less volume but it's a good compromise.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Since kiteingadventure is only 60kg, he or she can do this more easily than some -at least for light to medium conditions. 30-35L should be enough volume to paddle pretty easily at that weight, and can be had in a pointier shape allowing the desired beach pose -if that matters :lol:

But if you are in the never-ever-surfed-before category, you will want some sessions on a 8'+ long board first. If not wanting to own own you can maybe borrow it rather than buy. This is just so you can float around and see the line up, learn how rips or channels work, how to work your way around a break. Try to start by following a friend around the break. The knowledge you gain will save you from paddling the entire time you are out, learn how to stay out of others' way, and increase fun and safety.
Once you know how to put yourself where waves will break under you, you can move down to a smaller board -just not the tiniest one around.
So maybe even the bigger RRD could work, certainly a potatonator, dominator or celeritas might, anything over 30L.
The rider's light weight also means less risk of breaking a traditional surfboard right away.
because of this, if on a budget, you could go for any available used short surfboard geared to beginner/intermediate level.
A fish or "grovel" shape board would be good.
A quad fin fish is pretty much the easiest board to learn to jibe and most of them go upwind very well.
Good luck..

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:08 pm

juandesooka wrote:Learning surfing on a small performance border is recipe for frustration for most people.
:thumb: I can write a few pages on this statement alone - Worst hour of my life in the water! Was a good workout at least :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”