Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Super Sunday at Ponta Preta

Forum for kitesurfers
ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Re: Super Sunday at Ponta Preta

Postby ced1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 am

Large waves require a different approach. but that is another thread...
And yes Plummet the fear does retreat, but the buzz stays
plummet wrote:
Wavebunny wrote:These guys are my heros!!! I almost puked just watching the video!!! I felt every heart beat. But my instructor just told me I'll be ready to face these waves in a couple of years. It's worth living just for that wave. It's awe-inspiring!!! I think Pete Cabrinha holds the record, right? 20m wave?
2 years is probably a bit early for those types of waves unless your already a seasoned surfer.

Just build up slowly.

Big waves like that are scare as hell out of you but at the same time predictable. They also suck the water smooth. If you have the right conditions/experience big waves can be ridden with relative ease. After a while the fear retreats and you know what you can and can't get away with. Then its all fun........

Wavebunny
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wavebunny » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Intriguing, Ced. What kind of approach?

I don't mind the fear, keeps me on my toes AND it gives me the extreme kick I crave. Otherwise why work so hard. But yes, getting up the courage to face your fear is by far what I find the hardest, especially if you don't like dropping your kite in the wave. I really hate that! It's easier to eat it with just a waveboard, but the kite is a nightmare in big surf. Though if you have a good buddy there to drag you out of the laundry, one who knows what he is doing, it's not so bad.

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll need a little longer and just up the size of the wave slowly. I tried one that was way over my head and ate it so bad, it put me a year behind. Now bunny is back to bunny-size waves.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Always impressed by the brave guys in big waves.
When I kite, do a trick and crash, and a tiny waves gets me, I barely have breath. Can't imagine getting washed in a bigger wave that holds me down longer.
Guess my lungs are not that big/trained plus I might not be breathing a lot when doing a trick and crash.

Happy on flattest water!

But big respect to you big wave guys!

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:06 pm

My approach in big surf would involve no board leash, No kite leash (unless it puts others at risk obviously but then having it set up so you can ditch everything easily) Floatation vest, properly powered. I've been caught before underpowered in big waves it ain't fun.
If it gets too big I would scratch around for straps personally.

Also gotta read the spot and conditions and make a call. That is where experience and local knowledge helps loads.

Ced

Wavebunny wrote:Intriguing, Ced. What kind of approach?

I don't mind the fear, keeps me on my toes AND it gives me the extreme kick I crave. Otherwise why work so hard. But yes, getting up the courage to face your fear is by far what I find the hardest, especially if you don't like dropping your kite in the wave. I really hate that! It's easier to eat it with just a waveboard, but the kite is a nightmare in big surf. Though if you have a good buddy there to drag you out of the laundry, one who knows what he is doing, it's not so bad.

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll need a little longer and just up the size of the wave slowly. I tried one that was way over my head and ate it so bad, it put me a year behind. Now bunny is back to bunny-size waves.

Wavebunny
Medium Poster

Postby Wavebunny » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 pm

You are absolutely correct, Toby: wave and sophisticated air tricks don't mix, at least not on the same day :wink: . But some of your basic tricks really could help in the wave. I wouldn't dream of big surf before I've mastered at least a front roll 360 or smth at that level of skill just bc you should have that level of body, kite and board control to brave the wave. Maybe you should go with me for a wave or two in front of Tabuba when the swell rises later in the year. It's moderate :cool2:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Wavebunny wrote: . But some of your basic tricks really could help in the wave. I wouldn't dream of big surf before I've mastered at least a front roll 360 or smth at that level of skill just bc you should have that level of body, kite and board control to brave the wave.
Tricks and kiting in big waves have no cross over skill set. It would not matter how many 360's or board offs you could do should you decide to ride big waves.

Or put in another way. You could be the best big wave rider in the world but not be able to do a board off.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I am just waiting for the right conditions...then you will see what I can do in those waves....not what you think of...remember, I don't copy, I invent ;-)))))

Wavebunny
Medium Poster

Postby Wavebunny » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Toby, you make my heart purr like a machine... Yeah, give us some gasoline. That's the spirit

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:46 am

There is a little cross over with airs. Jumping over 7m whitewash is to a degree much easier than trying to ride strapless over it.

Best advice I ever got for surviving a wipe out is to relax completely, don't try swim etc. Good if you can time a nice large breath before you go under. Getting the air knocked out of you or tangled in kite lines certainly makes it a bit more extreme.

Return to “Kitesurfing”