Forum for kitesurfers
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re:

Postby windmaker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:43 am

foilholio wrote:Jumping on a 2.4kg vs a 3.5kg board will be mind blowing. Polyester :nono: too weak too heavy not for jumping.
For sure 1kg is huge. Riding an HB production board at the moment (3kg/5'9'') and the difference is amazing.

Can't imagine a 2.4kg board to be durable though. I own a 2.8kg full carbon foilboard and it feels like it's made of paper...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: strapless aerial

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:11 am

In the same construction or technology, heavier will always be more durable. Where different/better technology or materials and designs are used, durability can even be improved while reducing weight. Really depends how often you want to be repairing or replacing stuff. I know I went so light I broke a board in 1 session, that is obviously not viable. Depends how you ride as well , I know I could take just about any production board and break it in a couple of sessions if I was to be mean to it. Carbon seems like a tricky material, there is many different grades of the stuff some weaker than glass. You can't just have carbon whacked on foam and expect it to be twice as strong either. You need to look across multiple board sports to see what is state of the art.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:11 pm

foilholio wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote: It's too bad you don't understand the physics of how surfboards work, or how to do "good airs on production boards"
I understand them perfectly, there is a reason pro surfers have been known to break 80 boards a year. A lot of the pro surf kiters are riding custom constructions that look like production run boards. Sure some production boards are ok, especially in more recent years, but just don't get frustrated if you can't do similar tricks as you see the pros do. I see guys trying and never succeeding on the big name boards, their boards are very hard to impossible to do this stuff on. Typical bait and switch marketing BS.

Airton is very talented but he is hardly the first to be doing handle passes strapless. Felix is also one of many.
1. They aren't channels so much as they are bottom contours. A bottom contour on a surfboard gives you more surface area between the rails with the outline remaining constant. Remember that a curved line between two points will always be longer than a strait line. So what the double inside a single concave (a sort of quad concave) that you see on a Tomo Evo is almost "cheating" more surface area out of that space that is in between the rails. Now without going into how pressure differences play into this, basically more surface area = more lift when the board is moving. That's how alaia boards work or how you can surf a table. So essentially those contours = more lift (yes it is a bit simplified)

2. Pro surfers break that many boards is because they are built with a 4/4 or 4/4+4 layup that is weak as shit and it doesn't matter if they break them. Just like with autoracing, performance is a higher priority than durability. Not sure if you've hoped on the North or Firewire kite stuff but lots of those are lighter and loads stronger than some traditional PU surfboards of the same size.

3. If you're blaming your success of a trick on your gear (especially if it's not old) :lol: :roll:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:19 am

Channels give more lift? give me a break. That is like saying a c kite has more lift than a race foil. Look I will agree in theory but in practice channels do f*** all. They have more effect on how the board turns and holds than anything to do with lift , I feel they actually slow the board down from my experience. They also make spins on the water/face a lot harder.

I have ridden firewire and that brand you mentioned that copies them :-) Not bad but you can still find better.

The guys that were failing(not me) weren't blaming their gear, but they should of though. Next time Airton has a photo shoot why don't you strap a couple bricks to his board so he can prove the point :lol: , it should look well.... underwhelming :lol: .

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:40 pm

First: disclaimer : I've ridden 2011 Slingshot Celeritas 5-8 thruster for 4 years, a SS Space pickle 2 years and had 30 min on a Cabrinha 5-4 something. Then last year I built a version of tg e Evo, 3,2kgs complete and pretty bomb proof with 4+7+4 bottom and 4+7+7+4 deck.
The bottom on this has 10+mm concave and the extra concaves on you of that.
The effect is that it eats chop, never slams and flattened out at speed or in jibe it " floats ". Other boards plow more. Board goes rail to rail with 1/2 the effort and 2x faster that Celeritas.
So IMHO, they make a big difference.
DSC_1106.JPG

sckitesurf
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby sckitesurf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 pm

There will always be a battle of strength vs weight and if you want your ride to last you have to find that sweet spot. The FireWire Tomo kite models are made with that in mind, durability and modest weight for high performance that will last. In terms of bottom designs, channels, contours, etc. do some research on Tomo and his design philosophy before plopping down your money on a knock off. That's what Kelly Slater did before buying the company and why two of the three boards that are in his surf lineup are designed by Tomo, the same guy who created the Vanguard/Vader kite models. But what does a 11 time world surf champion know anyway? And if surf performance is what your after, how many other companies have top worlds tops surf athletes riding their equipment? Wouldn't you want to take a ride on one and THEN decide if it's a great board or not? And why are so many people trying to copy/compare them in the first place? That should be a good indicator or data point on any buying decision.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Re:

Postby cleepa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:31 am

foilholio wrote:Jumping on a 2.4kg vs a 3.5kg board will be mind blowing. Polyester :nono: too weak too heavy not for jumping.
The Loyd boards are polyester, ~6lbs and handle jumping fine. Being polyester, they require some extra care - dings on the rails can kill the board. But they handle this just fine:
13422218_668853486606696_2415077507034442528_o.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:24 am

It is not the air that kills the board it's the take off and landings. Poly is shit. Anyway 2.7kg is still light, most production boards are 3.5-4kg. A poly board that light playing like that will be lucky to last 3 months. Why any one still makes boards out of poly is beyond me, poor education/ religious beliefs about things I guess. Oh there is one reason I know though, the maker is too tight for the extra $10-20 epoxy costs. i.e. they are making a CHEAP board.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:30 am

The Loyd boards out there all last much longer than 3 months. I got mine a year ago, no sign of it easing up. Same for the 2 Gerry Lopez poly kite surfboards friends own.

Return to “Kitesurfing”