Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Re: Much difference between 10 and 12?

Postby Bartolo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm
Or 11? :lol:

Tried a Drifter 10 and other wave kites in 10m recently and liked them, but with our wind I wondered about a 12m for more bottom end. Not interested in chasing low wind riding, as the water is too flat on the lake, but when it gets to about 18 knots I want to ride a directional :D

Do they just become trucks above 10m or is it worth it?
I rode a 11m 2013 Drifter couple years ago for one seazon. I was pleasantly surprised how good it and nimble it was for waveriding. Actually I had the feeling it was more nimble and suitable than my 2012 9m Drifter. Certainly not a truck! Had some nice sessions with it.

Changed it to a more allround kite since at that windrange (17-21 knots) I wanted to do some TT riding again as well and it the 11m Drifter lacked pop, at least I was not able to get any pop. I rarely could do any back or frontroll with this kite. So I changed to a Catalyst 10m (bad for drifting (in low winds!), hindenburged when doing tack) , then to Switchblade 10m (too slow turning for waves) and now on Pivot 10m (slow and inconsistent turning and easliy stalling, again in light winds) . Still looking for a better allrounder which can boost and ride waves in light winds :-)

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands

Postby Bartolo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm

ble wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm
What is the usage of the 13m size drifter then? I was offered a good deal for 2016 drifter in size of 13m. Am 95kg weight, since 2016 this kite has setting for a freeride ride, mainly bought it to to get on water at slower winds then 8ms. Currently with switchblade 10m and twintip riding on 8m - 12ms wind. Is this a bad deal for me?
If you wanna get better lowend on a TT with the Drifter 13m over the Switchblade 10m, I wouldn't go there. If you intend to ride a surfboard then it's another story.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

10M is too big for me, I prefer a 9 M. :D I don't care for 12Ms. If I want something bigger than a 9M, I go bigger for extra bottom end, ~ 15M, but then it is no longer about riding waves.

ble
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Got 5'10 cabrinha proto surfboard. Want to be able to ride in wind 6 - 8ms
Bartolo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm
ble wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm
What is the usage of the 13m size drifter then? I was offered a good deal for 2016 drifter in size of 13m. Am 95kg weight, since 2016 this kite has setting for a freeride ride, mainly bought it to to get on water at slower winds then 8ms. Currently with switchblade 10m and twintip riding on 8m - 12ms wind. Is this a bad deal for me?
If you wanna get better lowend on a TT with the Drifter 13m over the Switchblade 10m, I wouldn't go there. If you intend to ride a surfboard then it's another story.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 am

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm
Kamikuza wrote:

Tried a Drifter 10 and other wave kites in 10m recently and liked them, but with our wind I wondered about a 12m for more bottom end. Not interested in chasing low wind riding, as the water is too flat on the lake, but when it gets to about 18 knots I want to ride a directional :D

I rode a 11m 2013 Drifter couple years ago for one seazon. I was pleasantly surprised how good it and nimble it was for waveriding. Actually I had the feeling it was more nimble and suitable than my 2012 9m Drifter. Certainly not a truck! Had some nice sessions with it.

Changed it to a more allround kite since at that windrange (17-21 knots) I wanted to do some TT riding again as well and it the 11m Drifter lacked pop, at least I was not able to get any pop. I rarely could do any back or frontroll with this kite. So I changed to a Catalyst 10m (bad for drifting (in low winds!), hindenburged when doing tack) , then to Switchblade 10m (too slow turning for waves) and now on Pivot 10m (slow and inconsistent turning and easliy stalling, again in light winds) . Still looking for a better allrounder which can boost and ride waves in light winds :-)
How was the 10m SB for jumping when over powered?

Was actually a 9m DR I rode...

Have a 12m SB now and it's not what I want.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands

Postby Bartolo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 am
Bartolo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm
Kamikuza wrote:

How was the 10m SB for jumping when over powered?

Was actually a 9m DR I rode...

Have a 12m SB now and it's not what I want.
I think the SB is easy and very stable to jump, also in overpowered condition. But overpowered may mean different things for different people. I think I rode the SB 10m upto 24 knots avg. windspeed at most (which is normally gusts around here to 28-30). From say avg. 22 knots however i would change to my 8m SB and have more pleasure and control and jumping abouth the same height or more as when using a 10m. If I go with a too overpowered kite I can't hold my edge anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”