Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Modern wave kite

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Modern wave kite

Postby or6 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:15 am

Airush wave kites are popular in Holland...we see a lot of wave kites. So are RRD Religions, and Cabrinha Drifters. Pick any of these, and you're good. Same goes for Neo.

Then make sure you get the right size. It might be smaller than you expect.

Or6

al heginbotham
Rare Poster
Local Beach: isle of man
Favorite Beaches: boracay
Style: surf
Gear: 2007 rev
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby al heginbotham » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:29 pm

I hear that core kites are very good and theee is a new section 2 does anyone have any experience with these ? Thanks for all the advice by the way

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Cabrinha Drifter is a great wave kite (......which I prefer to the F'one Bandits, but I can't compare to most other wave kites).

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 am

Yes, 3 strut wave kites were one of the real innovations in kite design made in the last 5 or 6 years of kite design. Fast turning, light weight, little pull in the turn, & drifting. All really useful things for dedicated wave riding.

stephduche
Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny

Postby stephduche » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 am

I'd get a 3 struts, with known great drift and direct attach to the bridles, i.e. no pulleys!! It gives you direct feel, more responsive, faster turning, etc... a must for wave riding imo.
I've been riding Reos for 4y and love them!

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 am

airush has pulleys...which are not my favorite, but it is a pretty fast turner.
I fly Ozone reo, I ca recommend it if you buy the 2017 V4 version, the 2016 V3 version I do not like as much as the newer V4 which is a very smooth kite, it eats gusts, and is very easy to fly, it has a wider windrange in its sizes than V3, V4 is a kite you do ot have to worry about, it flies and you can concentrate on the wave. It drifts, it hangs in the sky with minimum wind.
I have 80 kg, and my range is , 12M ( great lightwind kite, add 3m extensions > 28m and you fly it i the lightest winds ) 9m 7m 5m this covers uptill 40knts...
but if you can test others...try to compare what feels best for you...
good luck

Matt

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:47 pm

I went from a 10m & 12m Reo first version to Airush Wave in 2012 and have not gone back. I have replaced it earlier this year with a 2017 9m. It's my favourite kite. I also have a 2015 7m Wave. My 12 is a 2017 Union, because I still TT now and again.

I weigh 96kgs

I'm sure the Reo's have got better, but I found the Wave vastly superior back in Dec 2012 when I demoed a 9m Wave. I still have that kite.

Ignore this stuff about pullies and all that rubbish. Pulleys can give you you a much bigger wind range, without any 'lag' in feeling. When I'm out on my Waves, I do not need to look at them, at all. I know where they are from the feel and they are attached to my arm/brain.

If you can, get some demo's. Just because it works for me, it might not work for you ;)

I ride a strapless 6' Converse and have recently got myself a Firewire Evo 5'3" in Helium kite build.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I remember the old issues with pullies jamming and burning through bridles and /or bridle burning into the pullies. I think materials and construction used for both have improved since. Core uses pullies. No issues with them on my last Core quiver that was 6 years old when sold. I currently ride the Section for 2 years. No issues there.

I love my Sections. Really have improved my wave riding. Using a blunt nosed 2016 5'2 WHAM. What a combo! 🤙🏄

wingnut
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Squampton, Acadia, Jericho, Spanish Banks, Ambleside Septic farm.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, La Ventana (Baja Sur), Uppers, Nitinat.
Style: wave freestyle strapless
Gear: North Rebels 7,9,12, Naish, Dakine, Taaroa, Airush Ultra 6,9,12,15
Brand Affiliation: Soulfoodgodwax

Postby wingnut » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 am

I recently rode an Airush Wave 7m and really liked it, light, good power for its size, easy relaunch, fast turn with steady pull and good drifting capability. Too bad I had to give it back..

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 am

I've been on Airush waves last three yrs 9,7,5m but now changed to just 8 and 6m. Love them.

Mike

Return to “Kitesurfing”