Forum for kitesurfers
Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Evo vs Vader?

Postby Seawolf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Hello Folks!
Been wondering if I should buy me a new board.
My Vader 5.1 has held up pretty good for 2 years (ab)use. But its pretty beaten up by now...So I'm thinking of buying a new Vader or get my a Evo.
So my question goes to the ones who has ridden both these boards, how do they compare?
I ride mostly freestyle strapless, some mushy waves, and the occasionally head high wave.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Evo vs Vader?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 pm

The Evo is definitely better in mushy waves, but don't know if it's makes enough difference when kiting. The Evo turns more intuitively for me, although my Vader is a little longer than my Evo... For breaking the fins free and sliding tails out (ala Stu Kennedy's super steezy tail free turns) it's easier on the Vader for me with the right fins. For head high waves I don't know if I've really noticed a difference...once it gets over that, Vanguard over either...but if you had to choose, a Vader would be a little better since it's width is less.

I'd say since your Vader is still usable get an Evo and see how you like it, doubt you won't. Everyone still wants Tomo's so worst case is you sell it for not much depreciation since the 2nd hand market for them is still highly valued.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigZ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am

Seawolf wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm
Hello Folks!
Been wondering if I should buy me a new board.
My Vader 5.1 has held up pretty good for 2 years (ab)use. But its pretty beaten up by now...So I'm thinking of buying a new Vader or get my a Evo.
So my question goes to the ones who has ridden both these boards, how do they compare?
I ride mostly freestyle strapless, some mushy waves, and the occasionally head high wave.
I have both: 5'3 Vader and 5'3 Evo. As much as I like Vader I have never really "gelled" with Evo. I am heavy - 220-230 depending on season - but even at my weight 5'3 Evo feels a little bit to much of a board. Granted I don't kite in light winds. My biggest kite is 9m. I guess it would be an amazing board in light wind and mushy waves. The smaller Evos may be different but a 5'3 Evo feels much bigger than a 5'3 Vader. I don't know how to explain it but I feel that Vader works better with a kite. At least for me.

I love my Vader in small, mushy waves. But when the waves get bigger and more powerful - overhead and up - I am much more comfortable on a classical high performance or even a step up shortboard. I feel Evo targets the same conditions as Vader.

Hope it helps.

Seawolf
Medium Poster

Postby Seawolf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for reply both of you!
Guess it would be best to demo the board before buying it.
Does anyone know it Firewire has a dealer in Tarifa?

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby MMac22 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:05 am

I've owned both a Vader & Evo. Great boards and I found both work better as a thruster. The Vader is more power hungry than the Evo and needs more wind. If you mainly ride in high winds with 9m & smaller kites then get a Vader. If you ride in a variety of conditions with a lot of 12m+ days then go for the Evo. I sold my Vader and now ride an Evo for more range versatility. The Vader is the quickest rail to rail board I've ever ridden. The Evo planes a bit earlier, goes upwind better and handles a wider variety of conditions. As a bonus with both boards, my knee pain disappeared when riding them. Highly recommend either one :thumb:
Last edited by MMac22 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I've got a John-O 5'2" x 18 which should be pretty comparable to the Evo.
It's a great board, never bogs down but doesn't carve around like my other (traditional shape).
It seems like I need to push on the back foot a lot harder vs just lean and apply heel or toe pressure.
I think it's the big ass tail. I'm a bit of a hack in the surf and have switched strapless back a couple months ago so still doing some board chasing in the bigger/rougher stuff.
I'm wanting to demo the Vader, not sure 5'1" or 5'3", I weigh 180lbs.
Wondering if the Vader might be a good compliment, especially on stronger days.
Any of that make sense?
Tony

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:02 am

Tony wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 pm
I've got a John-O 5'2" x 18 which should be pretty comparable to the Evo.
It's a great board, never bogs down but doesn't carve around like my other (traditional shape).
It seems like I need to push on the back foot a lot harder vs just lean and apply heel or toe pressure.
I think it's the big ass tail. I'm a bit of a hack in the surf and have switched strapless back a couple months ago so still doing some board chasing in the bigger/rougher stuff.
I'm wanting to demo the Vader, not sure 5'1" or 5'3", I weigh 180lbs.
Wondering if the Vader might be a good compliment, especially on stronger days.
Any of that make sense?
Tony
If you are just kiting on it definitely get the 5'1"

Tony
Frequent Poster
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:29 am

Yes, just kiting. Should be able to demo one next weekend as long as the wind cooperates.
Thanks

Tony
Frequent Poster
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Well I now have a shiny new Vader 5'3".

Got to demo the board Sat/Sun in OBX in 10m winds.
The guys at Real suggested the 5'3" for me and most conditions there (where I ride mostly).
I knew in the first 2 minutes that this was the board for me.
It felt like the perfect size, I had no complaints.
I asked about the 5'1" and got feedback that I could go that size as well but might not be as happy on it on the lighter days.
Sunday afternoon was on the shiny new board and ended up over-powered 9m (should have put up a 7m).
I probably could have been happy on the 5'1" in these conditions but had no complaints with the 5'3".

I have not ridden the Evo and maybe it is different from the John-O although they seem like they'd be pretty similar.
For me the Vader is a winner, love it. Can't believe I waited this long to give it a go.
As always, demo if you can.

I know the new Helium construction is coming but I have no issues with the FST kite, seems light and strong.
Real has all the FST Firewire Tomo boards on sale right now for $699, $200 off.

Super happy with my new board.
Tony

Seawolf
Medium Poster

Postby Seawolf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Soo has anybody tried the Helium version?
Need to replace my old Vader soon
Just saw that they are in at some sizes at Realwatersports

Return to “Kitesurfing”