Medium Poster
Local Beach: Haverdal, Sweden
Style: Freeride TT, strapless foil and wave
Gear: Naish Pivot 9,12 Nash Slash 5,7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Stance ?

Postby Pellesurf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:07 pm

I usually ride toeside goofy stance in waves. It feels like I have the best kite and boardcontrol in this stance. I suspect that regular toeside is more optional to the most common wind and wave direction at my local spot. How do you others do, can you ride both toeside and regular as well as change stance depending on wind and wave direction. Should I practice more on regular stance and then change my stance ?

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Re: Stance ?

Postby jonysan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Pellesurf, Not sure I understand the last sentence, my suggestion would be to practice toeside both goofy and regular. and heelside both goofy and regular, then forget what everyone thinks or suggests how you should ride!!
For example, you are going to surf "One Eye" , which stance would you be happiest using ? (easiest to carve, top turns, bottom turns, or riding it straight) would you ride it, toeside goofy so you are frontside to the wave, or heelside regular so you are backside to the wave. it's a question of whatever gives you the best "surf" feeling at the time.

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:27 pm

jonysan wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:31 pm
Hi Pellesurf, Not sure I understand the last sentence, my suggestion would be to practice toeside both goofy and regular. and heelside both goofy and regular, then forget what everyone thinks or suggests how you should ride!!
For example, you are going to surf "One Eye" , which stance would you be happiest using ? (easiest to carve, top turns, bottom turns, or riding it straight) would you ride it, toeside goofy so you are frontside to the wave, or heelside regular so you are backside to the wave. it's a question of whatever gives you the best "surf" feeling at the time.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, what gives me the best surf feeling. Because I suspect that regular toeside stance is the best to give that surf feeling for me, with the wind and wave direction that is usually at my local spot.
In the last sentence, I mean if I will try to change my "natural" (goofy) stance, to regular stance instead.
Heelside goofy or regular is no problem and goofy toeside works well too, regular toeside is
more difficult with kite and board control for ride waves. I think it's fun to ride toeside with the frontside to the wave mostly.
I see that you also ride Pivot which I do as well. One thought I have, is that the Pivot has a bad pressure in the edge of the window, which causes poor speed and power after the bottom turn, when riding against the wave and making the top turn. Hopefully Slash is better here and has better operation than the Pivot, and better drift without lineslack.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:50 pm

I am regular but riding waves frontside on both tacks. At my home beaches the wind mostly comes from the left, which is not my preferred side. Having windsurfed for a long time I am somewhat used to it. Needs a bit of training to feel more natural. Doing a lot of frontside carving on that side even with a TT helps, so does training it on a skateboard (Carver surfskates or similar are best for this).
I have not noticed any issues with my Pivots, if it does not work properly it is usually my mistake.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Learn to ride all four stances! For me, the different stances feel best in different setups. I use them all in different circumstances. Sometimes, the stance that feels best isn't the obvious choice, so you don't know until you try. And being comfortable trying means being able to ride all four well.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Some good answers here ! I suspect of the four stances we are talking about, most people can do three out of four easily, the difficult one is "goofy toeside" if your are regular. and "regular toeside if you are goofy. even initiating the carve into these positions can seem odd.
Good idea to work on both toeside stances, and you learn more by messing about, and trying stuff.
you know this already, but most average surfers tend to keep to their preferred stance, and ride either frontside or backside depending on whether the wave is breaking left or right, we can mix it up .
---
Haven't tried the Slash, but I bet it will be perfect, after spending all that money we all make it perfect in our heads !!

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Dirk wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:50 pm
I am regular but riding waves frontside on both tacks. At my home beaches the wind mostly comes from the left, which is not my preferred side. Having windsurfed for a long time I am somewhat used to it. Needs a bit of training to feel more natural. Doing a lot of frontside carving on that side even with a TT helps, so does training it on a skateboard (Carver surfskates or similar are best for this).
I have not noticed any issues with my Pivots, if it does not work properly it is usually my mistake.
Then there are the same conditions for us but vice versa. At my homespot the wind and waves usually comes from the right side and I'm goofy. It sound's like iI have to practice more on the regular toesideriding. I suspect that the slack line and bad response when riding with the wave is caused by poorer drift at the Pivot and is quite difficult to correct . Slash is said to have an better drift and be a bit deeper in the window witch maybe gives a bit better drive when I need it, but that's just what I have in mind and hope for :) Of course, it's my own management of the kite that is the most crucial

Pellesurf
Medium Poster

Postby Pellesurf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Here is a short clip when I trying to have some fun in the waves at my homespot.
It feels like I'm not reaching the right height against the wind to reach the wave really, with this stance and wind / wave direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLgfa7VDIo

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm

All of my spots is flatwater but I found this vid really inspiring!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyAJ5pzCmk

If I ever could switch stance like this.

jonysan
Frequent Poster

Postby jonysan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Pellesurf wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm
Here is a short clip when I trying to have some fun in the waves at my homespot.
It feels like I'm not reaching the right height against the wind to reach the wave really, with this stance and wind / wave direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLgfa7VDIo
Nice carving, the waves were probably bigger than they look on the video, and I think you could use a bit less power in the kite, which might help staying on the wave face ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”