Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Ultra 12m for waves

Forum for kitesurfers
Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Ultra 12m for waves

Postby Strekke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Thinking about Airush Ultra 12m, on a surfboard for 10-16 knots. The question is: how does it really hold up in the waves - being so light, I'm sure it drifts nicely.

However, who has some first hand info on:
- on/off power - can you completely depower by sheeting out, like a real wave kite? Bigger kites tend to get grunty and pull the rider off the wave
- steering with slack lines
- pivotal turn, or wider ark with a lot of pull
- upwind-ability/angle
- better in its high end, or better in its low end? What's the high end to ride it at 75kgs before it becomes too grunty and pulls you off the wave in side-on conditions

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Airush Ultra 12m for waves

Postby jakemoore » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:25 am

I'm riding the 9 a lot. I enjoy waves on a surfboard and when too light for surfboard move to hydrofoil. I'm 190 lbs using the 9 with a surfboard in 15-20 knots and foil 10 to 15 knots. I enjoy riding downwind in underpowered conditions waves pushing me into the kite and lines. We have mostly onshore windswell slop. Consider in my comments I haven't flown the 12.

Depower is say 90 percent sheeting out. There is enough tension left to keep the kite flying. It sits deep when depowered and flutters quite a bit. I think you would move down a size rather than ride your light wind kite depowered. It's OK in the upper range and even decent twintip boosts. Better in the lower range. The issue is less getting overpowered and more canopy flap that will make you want to downsize.

Turn ranges from pivotal to a wide arc depending on bar position. I set my bar with a little backstall. When the kite is deep and the bar is in, I can make a propeller turn. When the kite is steered out a little, you can make a wide powerful turn for example to start in minimum wind.

Upwind is great but less than a foil kite. A good combination of grunt and forward flying speed. It goes farther forward than other zero and one struts I have flown.

Drift is great but less than a foil kite or Cloud. It's really really great if you are used to a heavier tube kite. I prefer foil kites if I think I can keep them dry enough to not pick up sand.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for that, also interested in the Ultra 12m on top of my Pivots for low-wind wave-'riding' rather fooling around a bit. Sounds like a 12m could get me out from 12-13 knots and up on the surfboard since I weigh about the same as you maybe 5lb less.

How do you rate the general speed and the turning speed of the Ultra compared to similar sized kites?

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Also interested in the 12m Ultra feedback, pls.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

I just ordered a 15m mainly for foling but apparently it's good in wave too I'm hoping it could be my do it all light wind travel kite!

Return to “Kitesurfing”