Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where is good spot to learn wave kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where is good spot to learn wave kitesurfing?

Postby marioparacuru » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:48 am

My home spot for sure, one of the best, Paracuru, Brazil. Why? There's waves and flat at same time. Small, medium and big waves (depends on swell). Inexpensive if you have euros or dolars. Less than 8€ on my hostel (fb.me/reefhostel) per night.

Best of all its the wind quality. Constant for hours and hours every day. The 7m is usually the main kite, but having a 9m and a 5m you can kite in every condition.

Forget Cape Town. CPT is for goofy, waves for left. The wind is extremely strong. It's a good spot for experienced riders. Theres constant swell with massive waves. The only problem I had there was the wind. Most of time I was overpowered with the 5m and sometimes waiting days for some wind.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 am

marioparacuru wrote: Forget Cape Town. CPT is for goofy, waves for left. The wind is extremely strong. It's a good spot for experienced riders. Theres constant swell with massive waves. The only problem I had there was the wind. Most of time I was overpowered with the 5m and sometimes waiting days for some wind.
I'm a regular foot, but I love riding switch. It's a really fun and useful thing to learn. But hard if you have a strong dominant foot.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Your info indicates you already ride at Cape Town, or do you only go to Langebaan? If you really ride at Kitebeach or Sunset or Dolphin then you know the conditions well, so as suggested above it's a matter of getting used to riding a surfboard on flat water, then going out in conditions with smaller waves at Cape Town. At least, that's what I did, plus lots of riding at Cape Hatteras. In a sense Cape Hatteras is easier because the waves are directly wind-generated and hence more broken up, making it easier to get out on a strapless surfboard, while in Cape Town it can take a while to learn how to get out against a wall of uniform waves coming in (tip is to take advantage of the sets, that is, wait for a relative lull in wave size; other tips are bringing the kite up to lift your body a little, making the hit from white water less severe, and also tackling the waves at an angle instead of headon). Doing downwinders helps enormously, as you are not struggling to stay upwind and can enjoy every little wave by turning on it, even on the inside, and just have fun. Or once you are comfortable with a strapless surfboard, put straps back on and get the best of both worlds, jumping on the way out and carving onto a wave on the way back in. Sit back sometime at Kitebeach and watch what guys like Alan Lambert can do with a strapped surfboard (tall with shaved head and usually on a small red or black board, with a small Cabrinha kite, launches at the south end of KiteBeach, and usually goes out earlier in the afternoon when the waves are still good, not yet blown out by the SEaster - also takes part in the local wave-riding competitions). I was there for two months this winter and since I ride best regular, found it fun to ride in the NWester and be able to use my right back foot to drive bottom turns. I still struggle with bottom turns in the SEaster.

Return to “Kitesurfing”