Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where is good spot to learn wave kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite-Cat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Uk, Capetown, Langebaan,
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: North and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where is good spot to learn wave kitesurfing?

Postby Kite-Cat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:09 am

Hi guys, I have been kiteboarding for 3 years now and I finally feel comfortable enough to get into wave riding. I have a few issues with my knees and many friends told me that I should switch over to a waveboard as it is supposed to be softer on my knees. Have you got any good recommendations in terms of school and spots where to go to? I had a look on the net to see if there was any good tutorials but the internet seems to be flooded with a lot of trash, maybe someone can recommend something good, or send me some links? Advice will be appreciated!

Toesidebas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Cape Town
Hamborg, Denmark
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish kites & north board.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where is good spot to learn wave kitesurfing?

Postby Toesidebas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

Hi Kite-Cat, I can highly recommend to go to Capetown! It is possibly one of the best spots in the world to learn wave kitesurfing! I have learned it there myself and since then I rarely went back on my twintip. Beware though, it is a dangerous sport, so you better go to a school…(if you want to stay safe). I learned it with Kitekahunas because a friend of mine recommended them to me and it was the only school I knew of which focuses on advanced lessons/ wave kitesurfing. It took me about two weeks to learn it, but it was absolutely worth it and I learned so much there also in terms of general safety! They may not be cheap, but by far the best! (I also had a look into some other schools there, the problem is, they usually teach beginner lessons only, so they hardly have any wave riders to teach this area of kitesurfing nor do they have much experience in it, no radios etc.). You can also download their video tutorial course on Vimeo and prepare yourself before you go there. Of course you can check for free tutorials on youtube, but most of them are rather bad and don´t explain well enough how to learn it. So if you want to take my recommendation, invest a few dollars and rather skip 1-2 cocktails this weekend. Hopefully I could help you a bit and good luck with learning wave kitesuring! ;-) Here is the link: wave kitesurfing video tutorial

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Boavista during Swell time (winter months).
Check out the RIU - in front, there is a long, nice beach break, and the station is good (incl. rescue)
Super easy conditions - side off wind, clean waves in sets.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Find a spot near your town with small waves and the wind going in the direction to land. once you feel confident travel to spots that have waves and side offshore wind. there are a few like one eye, pacasmayo, punta san carlos etc..... also video yourself to find more about you style also helps if you surf and can swim long distance cheers

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 pm

For video tutorials I think the Progression series is pretty good (carving turns and wave technique). It´s not for free but does not cost the world.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 pm

great advice above. I would add that there is no need to get on the next plane to a wave spot. Homework first ... you can buy a strapless directional board, learn to carve, learn to jibe, get better toe-side, make series of S turns, ... All of that can be done anywhere.

when you do travel, it is great to start with a safe place (no shallow reefs) and help/rescue or at least not too bad things happening in case you drop your kite and can't relaunch, which is sure to happen at least once.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:43 pm

I think Eduardo advise is spot on - learn the basics in flatter water and then venture into some small waves. Obviously, it all depends on how easily you pick up new kiting skills and also what surf experience you already have - if your a good surfer then that will speed things up in proper waves. It's also worth trying to ride strapless, even if just for a few sessions, as it will force you to adapt your stance to take full advantage of the design of a surfboard - you can easily screw your straps back on later if you prefer that style of kitesurfing.

And as Dirk mentioned above I do make some instructional videos which can help - from the very basics of just riding a surfboard, through to carving and riding waves. There are a few free videos - Playing in Waves is a good one when you first try to actually ride around in waves.
https://www.progression.me/player/collections/12

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 pm

You can also train a proper frontside carve on your twin tip on flat water. For training on land get a surfskate skateboard. From my opinion it helps a lot for systemically training compression and body rotation for the carves. It can be a nice work out for your legs and is good fun in itself. There are several brands, I use Carver.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

+1 for learning to ride a surfboard not in the waves. If you're coming from a twintip, there are two things you have to learn. Riding a surfboard and handling waves. It's much easier if you can separate the two.

Michael Eriks
Rare Poster

Postby Michael Eriks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 am

I agree with toesidebas. I bought the series myself and just learned it from there. You need to start learning the turns which you can even do on flat water. Once you feel confident, try out small waves….Here is a direct link to the Videos I downloaded: [vimeo]https://vimeo.com/ondemand/kitekahunas[/vimeo]
Enjoy the waves, it is the biggest fun out there! :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”