Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf wax recommendations

Forum for kitesurfers
kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Surf wax recommendations

Postby kitelife » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:04 am

I have a surfboard with wax. The wax I’ve been using wears off after about an hour (I build a base). So far the only solution is to try to carry wax in my pocket to reapply while in the water. Any recommendations on a type of wax to use That lasts longer than an hour? I don’t want traction pads.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf wax recommendations

Postby Faxie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:27 am

I've ridden with wax for over a year, and in the end I decided to sacrifice some boardfeel and go with pads. Still happy with that decision.

The extra pressure you put on the board when you're kiting will push all the wax away. I lost grip after 2 hours most of the time. I used a sexwax basecoat, and different types of topcoat (Sexwax different temperatures, Ion glue, Sticky Bumps) but that didn't make a difference.

Pads will protect your board better too.

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 pm

kitelife wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:04 am
I have a surfboard with wax. The wax I’ve been using wears off after about an hour (I build a base). So far the only solution is to try to carry wax in my pocket to reapply while in the water. Any recommendations on a type of wax to use That lasts longer than an hour? I don’t want traction pads.
Wax depends where you ride, what's the temperature there? For warm ocean I recommend FuWax. It's a perfect kind of mix between smooth and hard. But off course this depends of ride style, experience level and personal preference.

For strapless tricks my friends like "Magnet Superglue". I was using it before but now I just hate it. It's everywhere in the board and in the car and everything your board touches. It also go out after one hour. But the grip it's level extreme.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby yomotha » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 am

Try different wax, or perhaps your method of application is not great. I can wax my board and use it for many sessions without reapplying.

I've moved on from wax though and use wax pads (or whatever you want to call them). They're basically rubber (plastic) stickers with grip on them and I haven't looked back since... I find them to be perfect for my needs.

kitelife
Medium Poster

Postby kitelife » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:29 am

marioparacuru wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 pm
For strapless tricks my friends like "Magnet Superglue". I was using it before but now I just hate it. It's everywhere in the board and in the car and everything your board touches. It also go out after one hour. But the grip it's level extreme.
I’ve noticed that with regular wax. It was getting on my kite bag, car interior, dog, etc. I decided to get a board sock to cover the board and keep wax from getting all over the place.

My older board has traction pads and I like the idea of riding just wax for awhile. I matched the type to the temps in my area. Sounds like there isnt much of an option to keep it on for more than an hour. Might give “magnet superglue” a try just to see how it differs.
Last edited by kitelife on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitelife
Medium Poster

Postby kitelife » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 am

yomotha wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 am
I've moved on from wax though and use wax pads (or whatever you want to call them). They're basically rubber (plastic) stickers with grip on them and I haven't looked back since... I find them to be perfect for my needs.
Thanks, I’ll look into these.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

If you´re honest, pads outperform wax in each and every aspect. But it´s not "original surf style" :nono: :naughty:
I´ve tried many different waxes and I´m riding in cool/cold water exclusively (= easier for wax to stay in place). Wax is 20th century technology, let´s face it. And surfing is ultra-conservative if it comes to certain aspects :lol:
Pads offer better traction, duration, cleanliness etc etc
Don´t use hexatraction, though. Grip is hardly sufficcient (with booties!) - and who´d like to spoil these nice pads with wax :naughty:

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Probably pads is the future ..Easy and clean..and if u kite a lot its cheaper than wax everytime ...

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 pm

If you're hell bent on staying with wax those huge "stickers" that offer grip + putting wax over it is the way to go. But ultimately I gave up on wax and just went with a wmfg pad and couldn't be happier. Helps dampen the blows when you're jumping as well.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm
If you´re honest, pads outperform wax in each and every aspect. But it´s not "original surf style" :nono: :naughty:
I´ve tried many different waxes and I´m riding in cool/cold water exclusively (= easier for wax to stay in place). Wax is 20th century technology, let´s face it. And surfing is ultra-conservative if it comes to certain aspects :lol:
Pads offer better traction, duration, cleanliness etc etc
Don´t use hexatraction, though. Grip is hardly sufficcient (with booties!) - and who´d like to spoil these nice pads with wax :naughty:
Yeah, I went for wax becasue I wanted the surfing as 'pure' as possible, with as little kite as possible too.

After a year of dents in my board, slipping off the board, rewaxing every session, I thought f*%ck this shit I'll use pads from now on. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”