jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf wax recommendations

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am

Base coat is key, either “base coat” wax or something harder than the temp your riding in. Then a light coat of the proper temp. Lasts much longer, and usually just needs touch ups of the warmer wax.

Sticky bumps is my fave.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am
Base coat is key, either “base coat” wax or something harder than the temp your riding in. Then a light coat of the proper temp. Lasts much longer, and usually just needs touch ups of the warmer wax.

Sticky bumps is my fave.
Still needed to wax every session...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:28 pm

A super generous coat of hard wax that builds into pretty solid bumps should not need to be redone very often.

Done well a wax job should hold up for weeks.

Lots of youtube vids for technique, but as pointer, I would use between half and 3/4 of a base coat bar of wax on a cleaned and dry board that would last pretty much a season. Granted not enough surfboard use, but that was back before foiling. I would generally get the hottest part of the season done before doing a new coat for the better fall conditions. Essentially, two wax jobs per season with only some minor combing or adding of top coat needed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”