Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Quiver add-on or line changes

Postby Pana » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 am

I share a quiver with my girlfriend that is 60 pounds less than me. Usually we are 2m appart on sail sizes. We like riding waves on a TT ( Nomad wave).

Last trip in Cabarete I mainly used 9 m and my wife 8. Last year we had 8-10-12m and would often wait for the 10 to come in as riding 12 in waves is a lot of work. My wive would then jump down to 8, adding the 9 was great.

Now the question, we are both going to Brasil this fall. Was there last year by myself and mainly used the 9. Was 8 on strong days and 10 on low days. Our quiver is 6/8/9/10 ozone enduros. If i ride 8 my girlfriend must go to the 6. Its a good gap, but then again in stronger winds it may do.

I am challenged between bying a 7 or start managing line lenghts. My girlfriend could from 8 with 20m lines go to 6 with 24 or 25 m lines. This would bridge the gap, and avoid bying and carrying another sail.

Any experiences put there to share .

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Quiver add-on or line changes

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 am

If your wife lets you go to Brazil with a girlfriend, we should seek advise from you!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 pm

The effect of linelength is not that strong. I'd go for the extra kite.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 pm

The line change does make a lot of difference, for me at least. I was in Ceara (Ilha do Guajiru) last month, with a 8m xr5 and a 10.5m wainman. I could easily have used a 7m most of the time, and one or two days a 6m would be the perfect choice, but i managed to ride every day during my entire stay (8 days) only taking the lines extensions off from my 8m. The 10.5m ive only used during a half of one day. During two days was blowing 28-34 kts.
Ive tried line lengths of 20m and even 18m. Felt better with 20, but both worked very well. It took me some time to get used to the diferent lengths as i had never used a diferent line length from 24m before.
Fyi: I consider myself a beginner-intermediate kitesurfer, my weight is 66kg and I rode only a twintip.

Good luck, i hope you have a good time here!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:35 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 am
If your wife lets you go to Brazil with a girlfriend, we should seek advise from you!
:thumb: :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”