Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Fone Mitu's Waveboard: don't buy it

Postby marioparacuru » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:04 am

Since the first model in 2015 (white/blue), I observed the large number of damaged fone boards in our spot. It didn't changed till nowadays. 2018 version still very fragile. All the boards got damaged in the same spot.

Around and under the front pad it's very fragile. There's a different construction in this board.

2 days ago a friend broke the 2nd fone board. The first one they replaced. Now no more warranty. And this is an endless story I've hearing by so far.

I'm our spot there's only one guy professionally fixing boards. For some reason, Mitu's board it's by far the most present board in the fixing line. We talked about the obvious problem this board has.

Often breaks under the pad and the rider don't realize it. Water come inside causing a big damage. The reparation cost it's high and you can be sure that the weight won't be the same as before. I just ask myself why take chances with a $800 product that may disappoint you. Be aware!!

Mitu shouldn't put his name on it. :nono:
Attachments
20180920_174503-01.jpeg
20180920_174523.jpg
20180920_174455.jpg

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Fone Mitu's Waveboard: don't buy it

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 am

if you want a strong board, dont buy a light board

i love light boards, they do snap though$, heavy boards do not work for strapless airs

naish seem to take the route of heavy boards, minimal returns, i can see the reason ... pita

snapping twintip, surfboards, kitesurfboards, skateboards.. is just part of life. $800 is a fair wack tho... id buy a local clone if i lived in brazil 1/3 of the price?

keep procuding light boards.. heavy ones suck

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 am

if a shaper can souce inegra cloth.. a big patch under foot area will help heaps

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:40 am

F-One has some serious quality issues, from different forum
http://www.kiteforum.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73763
Quick release on new F-One bar after two trips aboard kitesurfing started to rust. Distributor of F-one in Poland apparently took care of it but it blows my mind that kitesurfing bar for 500 euros can rust???

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 am
if you want a strong board, dont buy a light board

i love light boards, they do snap though$, heavy boards do not work for strapless airs

naish seem to take the route of heavy boards, minimal returns, i can see the reason ... pita

snapping twintip, surfboards, kitesurfboards, skateboards.. is just part of life. $800 is a fair wack tho... id buy a local clone if i lived in brazil 1/3 of the price?

keep procuding light boards.. heavy ones suck
Ohhh this absolutely not true. There's well done carbon boards super light and strong as hell. Light weight can't be a escuse for making crap.

I give you two examples of excellent light weight board construction:

Ultraresistent light weight wave board made with carbon alutex:
Hydro - http://www.hydro.it

A mix of carbon, Kevlar and fiberglass:
Aero - http://aeroboards.com

I heard that the guy from Aero its the same that was producing Skywalker boards in the past.

These boards weight less than 3kg. It isn't big brands as fone, North etc. Apparently the big brands has problems to absorb new expensive technologies for their China industrial scale factories.

About the brazilian boards costing 1/3 of the value... It's pretty much the opposite of what you saying. For me kite industry is copying the boards here (yes I'm from Brazil). Especially the boards made in Fortaleza from Flora and now nice ones epoxy made from GB. We have some examples of it. RRD is trying to do the same combination epoxy with strips of carbon. Eleveight also. This combination it's simple and efficient. Not heavy, good flex. Not bombproof as hydro but there's no issues like fone.

In my quiver I have 2 rrd máquina, 2 naish, 2 Flora, 1 dhd and 1 GB and I have been trying all the other brands. Watching the progress year by year. Some of my boards kind of destroyed by the time, some still good. So I know moreless what I'm talking about. Nowadays GB it's the most cost effective board in Brazil. His epoxy construction susprised me for the quality and resistance, costing €300. Plus you can customize the board as you want. I just made mine 5'7 X 17 3/4 X 2 squash tail.

If you're seriously rider or looking for that extra performance on the waves you should go custom, always. I will forever insist that kite brands should do custom boards. And they will, you can be sure about that. If the big surfboard brands can do it, they also can.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm

ill check them out, i have been highly skilled at snapping surf boards

do check out inegra (tell your shaper).. its way cheaper than carbon but real tough.. needs to be sandwiched between glass layers as it doesnt sand. it wont stop it snapping but kiteboards with inegra seem to last longer under the feet

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 pm

I have snapped 2015 and 2016 F-One Mitu standard surfboards 3 kg +(replaced) but also owned 2017 Carbon Mitu (2.9 kg) and still own 2018 Carbon Signature (2.7kg).

I Have jumped the hell out of the 2 latest (always strapless), few times thought I had broke them, especially the Signature which is not supposed to be used for freestyle but I am surprised how well they are holding on to the abuse.
Last edited by windmaker on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 pm

The Firewire Helium construction is excellent.
My Vader 5.1 weights 2.8 kg (naked board w/o pads and fins). After a full season of abuse it looks like new still.
High-priced, though...

Return to “Kitesurfing”