Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2 straps versus 3 straps

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2 straps versus 3 straps

Postby Flyboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I understand what you're saying: when you're actually riding the wave I don't think the straps don't provide any real benefit ... & off the lip you might place the front foot in a very aggressive, almost back-pointing position. In the video I lift up on the strap to get a similar effect (bearing in mind that I'm 60 & not as aggressive as some young un).

In sloppy waves & choppy water my kind of board, plus dual front straps works great (in my experience). With its small size, low volume & flattish rocker it's much less skittish than a typical SB. The trade-off is it's not going to be as good in big, clean, side shore waves. Unfortunately, I don't really get those conditions ... & I suspect a lot of other kiters don't, including the OP. I'm advocating a board set-up that works well for the kind of conditions most kiters encounter most of the time.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Would not 2 straps be more conducive for riding toeside?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:38 am

Agree w/Jake here......for sure 2 straps ....one front...one back... makes going toeside more natural /comfortable & puts more weight on the rail in the water
Got 3 surfboards....21 wide...18.5 wide...16 3/4 wide...it all works just great with one front & one back

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 am

JakeFarley wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 pm
Would not 2 straps be more conducive for riding toeside?
PullStrings wrote: makes going toeside more natural /comfortable & puts more weight on the rail in the water
Think about it - even TT boards have the straps set at an angle ... why? Because riding with your front foot pointing somewhat forwards is a more comfortable, natural position than having your feet & body completely sideways to the direction of travel. Once you're toeside, the inline strap means your front foot has to be at a more acute angle forcing you to contort your body even more . An angled strap allows you to keep the front foot at a less acute angle & so less twist in your upper body.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:14 pm

my second thoughts are also that the angled 3 strap setup gives your front foot a much more relaxed way, they will need to be set / tuned perfectly ,

this is my experience with my sector 54 which is a great board that is not as difficult and demanding as many think, it just needs more finetuning onstrap placement , and body foot pressure / balance so its technical., but it jibes like a wide surfboard, it is pretty manoevrable even at hogh or low speeds, with its 3 fin setup.
it could also have to do with 32 years of windsurfing, before the 11 years of kiting, That is why I brought up the subject, which seems to turn into a interesting thread.

I was also wondering if it had to do with keeping things lighter or structural problems in producing/ placement etc....maybe some experience shapers could jump in on the subject
why 2 straps versus 3 straps , techical ecplanatio if they exist etc

thx dude :cool2:

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:00 pm

I agree there should probably be more choices in footstrap placement, including 3 strap options and angle of straps. And I agree it is more natural to have the front foot angled forward.

However, in a single strap placement, you seldom are putting your foot straight in. In fact, notice in flyboy's video he is not putting his foot straight into the strap on his 3 strap setup. Instead he is putting his foot parallel to the rail.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/199488450[/vimeo] (RIP Gord Downie)

That type of stance would not be natural for me and I would end up with my heel in the water on that board with that strap setup and with my preferred stance.

Different people like different things and have different bodies, water conditions, board, and styles.

There is probably a little too much following the trend and not enough doing your own thing in the sport. That sort of behavior is not limited to kitesurfing.

I happen to use two straps. I find that my foot position is the same, including my foot angle, as when I don't use straps. In fact I picked the strap placement by riding the board without straps and i have set the strap loose enough to allow freedom to rotate my foot.

Notice my front foot is angled to the front.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/03MULLpvsTw[/youtube]

But I do agree that there should be more productions boards with three strap options but they obviously are going to increase the price. Honestly, even finding boards with strap inserts is getting harder to find as we go into the latest trend of strapless surfboards.

Anyway it is all good. Like I said, I have seen guys rip on 0, 1, 2, and 3 straps. I find it interesting to see all of the different styles that kiters have adopted. It is good for the sport.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 pm

there's moments that the frontfoot angle opposed to the underknee part of the frontleg are pretty unnatural, but as said moments, but count these moments in hours of riding...
ok ok I am 64 so some pains come from over the years of sports etc...hahahah :rollgrin:
dude :cool2:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

purdyd wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:00 pm
I agree there should probably be more choices in footstrap placement, including 3 strap options and angle of straps. And I agree it is more natural to have the front foot angled forward.

However, in a single strap placement, you seldom are putting your foot straight in. In fact, notice in flyboy's video he is not putting his foot straight into the strap on his 3 strap setup. Instead he is putting his foot parallel to the rail.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/199488450[/vimeo] (RIP Gord Downie)

That type of stance would not be natural for me and I would end up with my heel in the water on that board with that strap setup and with my preferred stance.

Different people like different things and have different bodies, water conditions, board, and styles.

There is probably a little too much following the trend and not enough doing your own thing in the sport. That sort of behavior is not limited to kitesurfing.

I happen to use two straps. I find that my foot position is the same, including my foot angle, as when I don't use straps. In fact I picked the strap placement by riding the board without straps and i have set the strap loose enough to allow freedom to rotate my foot.

Notice my front foot is angled to the front.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/03MULLpvsTw[/youtube]

But I do agree that there should be more productions boards with three strap options but they obviously are going to increase the price. Honestly, even finding boards with strap inserts is getting harder to find as we go into the latest trend of strapless surfboards.

Anyway it is all good. Like I said, I have seen guys rip on 0, 1, 2, and 3 straps. I find it interesting to see all of the different styles that kiters have adopted. It is good for the sport.
I couldn't see your video before, for some reason. Looking at it now it totally reinforces what I'm saying: your lower leg is contorted in an unnatural, even dangerous-looking, way compared to your upper leg & torso. There's no doubt that you can make it work - lots of people do - but there's no way that it's a "natural" stance. Riding strapless allows you to shift your feet around in whichever way you choose, including switching stance before the turn, so it offers the best range of options for foot position. Most people have never had the opportunity to try a 3 strap configuration, because, weirdly, no production board (that I'm aware of) offers it, so they really have no idea what it feels like. It's certainly true, however, that it's possible to make any style/configuration work - if I had Airton's level of skill, I don't think I'd bother with straps either!

@ naishdude: the answer to your query is: you would be much more comfortable with a 3 strap configuration IMO. When I got this board, 8 years ago - combination of the design of the board, the small size & twin front straps - it felt like the ultimate combination of the best aspects of windsurfing with the best aspects of kitesurfing. I think, if you manage to find a similar board you'll experience the same thing. :thumb:

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:58 pm

yep think so too :thumb: :thumb:
cheers
dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”