Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding is officially sailing, gets its own medal for Paris 2024

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 am

You really don´t believe that petition is about kite not being sailing, or that IFKO is mainly about kite being for kiters, do you?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am

Kitesurfing governed by skiing? Yeah that’s not a big leap is it...

Am I pro WS? Not especially. what I am PRO is that if a sport is chosen to have a class at the Olympics then surely the people that want to go and compete should be allowed to do so?

What I don’t agree with is organisations hitching themselves to the sailing classes under the guise of “reclaiming our sport” no one fucking took it anywhere!
And being hell bent on getting kites out of the Olympic selection process.

Could I give a f*** if Bruno now has sellers remorse about his patent? No neither could he when was cashing his cheque and moving to the DR. Don’t you dare say I need to follow his lead because he liked the IFKO.

The average guy ( not the self proclaimed brand owner and national champ) will carry on as normal, for the 98%of kites that don’t live in this forum, social media or the competitive scene they simply won’t be effected or bothered.

All they see is a nice kitesurfing is in the Olympics spot on the news, it gives em something to chat about with people at work as they now do that Olympic sport.

So then

What YOUR involvement as you wanted to know mine?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

Kiteboarding is not in the olympics.. there is no medal, same fake news last time around.

The petition states that kiting should represent itself as its own sport that is why i signed. $ involved so yeah all sorts of motives too... eg kiting taking away sailing funding would for sure be a big issue for sailors.

When I hear there were over 1000 competitors at a recent dinghy open meeting ( optimist). Not even a nationals or worlds, and that the kite youth olympics qualifications by world sailing were not even able to get enough competitors to be able to contest the places. All of oceania.. 1 female kite competitor.. in all of asia 3 female kite competitors... you see the big picture and I see their point. Youth kite racing barely exists... i saw forums begging parents for youth olympic qualification competitors.. no racinh experience necessary... safe much? I remember Dimitry making comment here about what think was his son being continually tangled with competitors with no experience at all.

IFKO - . I listened to their podcast, i liked what they had to say. Support from just about the most grassroots kiter on earth, and the inventor of kiting is a good start but for sure we need to hold organisations like these to their words as $ corrupts no doubt , just look at Rob Dydrek if you know who he is.

Podcast by kiters for kiters, listen and make up your own mind. Are you a sailor or a kiter?

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/wwwsti ... e/51586955

Sign here if you think you are a kiter, 22 000 have signed so far.

https://www.change.org/p/world-sailing- ... -our-sport

Ultimately World Sailing controlling kiting creates a huge conflict of interests. As World Sailing quotes " we will do whatever it takes to protect our stakeholders". The stakeholders are sailors...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 pm

james wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 am
Kitesurfing governed by skiing? Yeah that’s not a big leap is it...

So then

What YOUR involvement as you wanted to know mine?
If u asking me, I am neutral in this conversation, not pro OG, at.al or against.

But, I see what I see on this forum, and as anyone not to be taken personally or too serious;)

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm

I don´t need to listen to podcasts to make up my mind about IFKO, their current president used to be the local kitesurf association president.

As for Sailing stealing kiting that’s hardly a good representation of past events. It did not need to be Sailing, but since some kitesurfers decided to be the fastest sailors on earth, Sailing it is.

You claim kite and sailing are not the same sport, and for the most part I agree. But you don´t need to be the same sport to be within the same government body. FINA is a good example with swimming, diving, aquatic gymnastics, and some other.

For all the independence talk, in my country for years the local association tried to be recognized by the State as Federation, and failed over and over as the numbers are simply not there.

WS is providing a path for kite to be an Olympic sport and I am a glad to see the industry getting all extra revenues from that decision, but there is much more than this.

As a former athlete of some other sport I have a huge respect for the Games, I see all those who have been there as Supermans. And I am very happy that someone who does the same sport as I do will be able to dream to be there. There is NOTHING bigger.

But even for those of us who just ride and have a good time, WS could provide a level of recognition by the State that would be hard to get otherwise. This is a rough translation of the Notice still valid for my home spot
“the practice and teaching of kitesurfing shall comply with the rules of AP-Kite, a sailing class under FPVela, who is the entity that has the technical and disciplinary competence of the sailing sport.”
http://www.amn.pt/DGAM/Capitanias/Lisbo ... 202015.pdf

Never in those years before being a Sailing Class that level of recognition was given, not even close. At a time we had a Captain of the Port saying he didn´t know to whom to speak, as he had doubts if kitesurf was a boat, or an airplane…This is what we do not need to go back to.
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm pretty suspicious about kiteboarding in the olympics. I don't know the details as well as longwhitecloud and honestly to me kiteboarding is sailing. For me the problem is the olympics is more about politics and less about the the sport itself. Sailing in particular is very political and how well the sport we all love is represented depends a lot on wheeling and dealing that we have no control over.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:18 pm

edt wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm
I'm pretty suspicious about kiteboarding in the olympics. I don't know the details as well as longwhitecloud and honestly to me kiteboarding is sailing. For me the problem is the olympics is more about politics and less about the the sport itself. Sailing in particular is very political and how well the sport we all love is represented depends a lot on wheeling and dealing that we have no control over.
That's a pretty fair assumption, looking at Rio there shouldn't be any doubt it's about money.

That said, I think that claim stops at the final qualifiers before the Olympics. All the feeder classes and series and youth programs, both national and college level, provide a huge base for people to pursue. The last time kiteboarding had a serious shot the race circuit exploded with new kiters who migrated over from sailing.

We'll find out officially what the equipment will look like this November. By virtue of those decisions, sailors will come to kiting.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Oh the grumpy old men when the Finn gets chopped. Their salty tears. Ok well that is a silver lining to be sure but don't count the Finn out. RSX is awful and the windsurfers certainly deserve better. If they get chopped, I think it's a chance for them to come back with a better formula.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

how about windsurfing?

Do they also have a mixed medal now or two?

Not fair if two. Should be equal.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm

just wondering...do windsurfers think they are sailors?

Did they have a similar discussion back then?

Return to “Kitesurfing”