Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding is officially sailing, gets its own medal for Paris 2024

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Kiteboarding is officially sailing, gets its own medal for Paris 2024

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Just saw Markus posted on Facebook. Format not decided, will be established working with the events committee and be announced in about 6 months (Nov.)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Kiteboarding is officially sailing, gets its own medal for Paris 2024

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Maybe you personally think kiting is sailing in your country, not in mine. Nothing official about that.

Plenty more drama to come, just look at the history of this clust3rfu3k so far!

sailings attempt to steal kiting continues...

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SimonP » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm

I found this press release: http://formulakite.com/news/item/413-ki ... g-decision
It will be interesting to see how they choose to run a mixed event and what will be defined as a production series hyrdrofoil and foil kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 am

Mixed is just stupid.
Better than nothing though, but still...
Why not give one more medal? Where is the problem.
Too expensive? Duh

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm
Maybe you personally think kiting is sailing in your country, not in mine.
I mean, according to sailing and the Olympics it's sailing so feel free to disagree but you're tilting at windmills

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 am

They dont teach you this stuff when you get olympic gold glory in your eyes.. especially when you are youth but today we have the internet to spread information.

of course kiting is sailing to world sailing.. from the outset their goal was to steal kiteboarding because sailing had the 7th lowest viewership out of all olympic sports. The ioc said increase the advertising potential of sailing to world sailing or we may end olympic sailing and cut off you $22 million funding.

i dont see kite racing as sailing but i do see similarities, but it doesnt make it sailing.. we use a kite not a sail. World sailing has had nothing to do with freestyle or wave riding sports in all of history and yet says they are the authority if all kiteboarding on water..

World sailing got a 3rd party marketing company to investigate how to increase revenue/ viewership.. the answer... "urban sports" of which they considered kiteboarding to be one.

In 2017 5 females worldwide competed in the world formula kite chamionships and 3 in the kitefoil gold cup. Equal male and female participation is now required for olympic participation. The same goes for 3rd world country participation if which there us little to none in foil racing. World sailing ignores this and hopes ioc dont notice and get their funding.. ioc will notice though. It just shows how corrupt the whole affair is.

So the ioc goals of equal female and male participation, poorer country participation come second to $22 million dollars funding for world sailing.

$ is magnetic attraction for sellouts and lowlifes.

Then there is the case of who decides who governs what sport.. right now it is gaisf that ioc recognises as making these decisions and that is that.

ifko ( i dont know enough about them yet to fully support them but by kiters for kiters is better than having world sailing threatening legal action against kiter run events as they have... waveriding freestyle and racing) will be moving forward legally to dispute world sailings claim that kiting is sailing.

and know this, pioneers of kite racing, kite businesses that invested in kite racing.. think they will have a say in final equipment choice when $$ is involved... no way... they will be thrown on the rubbish dump just like last time around. so who wins? those that tow the line with no moral fibre.

kiting is not alone is this corrupt process

read these identical situations, the sport looks after itself, along comes potential olympic $ and another sport that historically had nothing to do with it trues to steal it for olympic funding

canoe vs sup
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... -mediation

skateboarding vs rollerskating

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... rival-body

what a joke, what do you stand to gain?

equipment choice.. not known lol what a joke we all know equipment wins races not, athletes in kite racing.

Sport accord/gaisf that decide the definitions of olympic sports and their authorities have a lot to answer for. When you have the actual inventor of your sport (kiting)going against world sailing, you know something is very wrong.

trouble is most kiters dont care because the way it works blinds us with complexity.. kind of like banking...

by kiters for kiters

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 am

I just want to be able to watch hydrofoil kite racing with multiple drone angles and LiveWire type on-screen augmentation. It's the only way I can actually follow a sailing race on TV.

If it takes Olympics to do it, fine. I'd rather someone throw just a bit more money at the existing kitefoil gold cup tour.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 am
They dont teach you this stuff when you get olympic gold glory in your eyes.. especially when you are youth but today we have the internet to spread information.

of course kiting is sailing to world sailing.. from the outset their goal was to steal kiteboarding because sailing had the 7th lowest viewership out of all olympic sports. The ioc said increase the advertising potential of sailing to world sailing or we may end olympic sailing and cut off you $22 million funding.

i dont see kite racing as sailing but i do see similarities, but it doesnt make it sailing.. we use a kite not a sail. World sailing has had nothing to do with freestyle or wave riding sports in all of history and yet says they are the authority if all kiteboarding on water..

World sailing got a 3rd party marketing company to investigate how to increase revenue/ viewership.. the answer... "urban sports" of which they considered kiteboarding to be one.

In 2017 5 females worldwide competed in the world formula kite chamionships and 3 in the kitefoil gold cup. Equal male and female participation is now required for olympic participation. The same goes for 3rd world country participation if which there us little to none in foil racing. World sailing ignores this and hopes ioc dont notice and get their funding.. ioc will notice though. It just shows how corrupt the whole affair is.

So the ioc goals of equal female and male participation, poorer country participation come second to $22 million dollars funding for world sailing.

$ is magnetic attraction for sellouts and lowlifes.

Then there is the case of who decides who governs what sport.. right now it is gaisf that ioc recognises as making these decisions and that is that.

ifko ( i dont know enough about them yet to fully support them but by kiters for kiters is better than having world sailing threatening legal action against kiter run events as they have... waveriding freestyle and racing) will be moving forward legally to dispute world sailings claim that kiting is sailing.

and know this, pioneers of kite racing, kite businesses that invested in kite racing.. think they will have a say in final equipment choice when $$ is involved... no way... they will be thrown on the rubbish dump just like last time around. so who wins? those that tow the line with no moral fibre.

kiting is not alone is this corrupt process

read these identical situations, the sport looks after itself, along comes potential olympic $ and another sport that historically had nothing to do with it trues to steal it for olympic funding

canoe vs sup
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... -mediation

skateboarding vs rollerskating

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... rival-body

what a joke, what do you stand to gain?

equipment choice.. not known lol what a joke we all know equipment wins races not, athletes in kite racing.

Sport accord/gaisf that decide the definitions of olympic sports and their authorities have a lot to answer for. When you have the actual inventor of your sport (kiting)going against world sailing, you know something is very wrong.

trouble is most kiters dont care because the way it works blinds us with complexity.. kind of like banking...

by kiters for kiters
You are gonna be that guy aren’t you?

Can’t you simply be happy that a bunch of people you have never met are going to get to do what they love on one of the biggest world stages and proudly represent thier country?

Or you just want to crush anyone’s happiness and keep being the IFKO mouthpiece.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 am

I represent myself, my own views, not ifko.

I have run a kite brand, competed internationally (nz title holder freestyle and competed in waves, i also entered the early racing comps), helped organise kiting events and competitions.

Kiteboarding is not an actual olympic sport, your writings give the impression that it is.

World sailing stole kiting and we want it back!

World Sailing says they are the world authority of all forms of kiteboarding on water.. including waves, freestyle,wakestyle, downwind races, park ( rails and kickers), racing, big air, airstyle, strapless freestyle.

You cannot rewrite history, even the inventor of your sport agrees with me!

22 000 people signed now that kiting is not sailing.

Sign here if you agree:

https://www.change.org/p/world-sailing- ... -our-sport

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 am

I wonder how would James react if kiting was taken over by skiing IOM committee?

For sure "the biggest world stages and proudly represent thier country" is a valid point, but the same is that the world sailing will be paid big bucks and making the best deal. Do we really want't this? I wouldn't, and I'm not a kiddo who's dreaming about biggest world stages...

We need to ask what is James's involvement in this as well as pro WS and con everything else?

Return to “Kitesurfing”