Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Gear: Blade trigger
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Waist/Seat/Shorts?

Postby Fabian75 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:23 am

Quick question,

I have only used a waist harness, but I saw the shorts harness they seem pretty cool and don't get in the way of my impact vest. Any thoughts on the 3 types, cons and pros?

Thanks!!!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Waist/Seat/Shorts?

Postby FLandOBX » Sun May 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Fabian, there's lots of previous discussion of this topic on the forum. Find it with the search feature.

In a nutshell, a waist harness generally provides more mobility than a seat harness, particularly when riding toe-side. A seat harness is often preferred for better back support and a lower pivot point (like a climbing or windsurfing harness) because the spreader bar rides lower. Shorts (Dakine, Ion, Liquid Force, etc.) provide a lower spreader bar than a waist harness, but offer more mobility and less bulk than a typical seat harness.

I've used all three over the years. You engage different muscle groups as you switch from waist to seat (more abdominal muscles with waist). Try them all. You may find that rotating among them provides a nice balance for a while. Eventually you'll develop a preference. In the end, that's all it is.....just a personal preference. :wink:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 pm

seat and shorts harness you have a lower tow point. Its great for edging hard, boosting sent jumps, and racing. You tend to flex at the hip more into a siting position, but the strain is going below the lumbars to the pelvis. Makes kiting like doing a sport in a hammock! I think full seats, give some back support, but with the shorts, when you fatigue, like sitting on a stool too long, you really let the pull of the hook round your low back into flexion and it's not good. Will absolutely tide you over while you recover from rib injury. They fit perfectly with impact vests and PFD's and for simple if not a bit dangly back and front rolls the tow point really works.

The low back is a great curve to lean back on when well supported and I think when down nice and low the tow point is closer to your COG. Problem is they ride up if you bend at the waist. Solution is ride properly and don't bend at the waist! Not as comfy for sent airs. I think the hard shell idea from Engine is the right one. Leaving the hips and legs unencumbered is better for wave riding, and riding with a lot of toe side switches or unhooking. They rule out most PFD's but there are vests that work now. Definitely allow for the better stance. That being said, you can still butcher your posture with a waist harness.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun May 31, 2015 7:42 pm

Good analysis, Starsky. Your second paragraph addresses waist harnesses, yes? (I know what you meant, but the OP may not.) :wink:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun May 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah sorry, second paragraph is about waist harnesses.

Fabian75
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South padre island Texas USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Gear: Blade trigger
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fabian75 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks for the tip FLandOBX Found the "Search" Button will help out a lot for further questions, I'm sure they will come up.
Starsky Thank you for the feed back!!!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 pm

The shorts are nice when you are learning. You spend a lot of time doing things that would cause a waist harness to be up in your armpits.

The newer waist harnesses have much better back support so it is less of an issue, but yes, they do interfere with impact vests and most PFDs.

Give the shorts a try. They are comfortable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”