Rare Poster
Gear: None yet!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Introduction and Harness Question

Postby SJBrit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while reading and learning, but decided to sign up and start posting! I'm from the UK - I grew up sailing, windsurfing, skiing etc. on the south coast. I've been in the US for 20 years now in Alabama but am about to move to Bradenton, Fl. I can't wait! I'm itching to get back out there - I've already bought the beach cat I'll be sailing and my windsurfers have been haunting me the whole time I've been living inland :-)

I'm super-excited about learning to kiteboard. I taught myself to slalom ski, windsurf, wakeboard etc. but the stakes are much higher in kiteboarding it seems, so I'm happy that I'll be living in a spot where I can get some professional lessons locally. My plan is to spend time with an instructor until I feel confident enough to go solo and then look out for some used gear to get me started. I don't want to make a huge investment until I discover what type of riding I'm most drawn to.

There's one thing that concerns me though: I have lower back issues and have already had one surgery for a herniated disc. I'm wondering what kind of harness would be best to start off with? Seat/waist/shorts? I'm very familiar with a seat harness (with a sliding spreader) from windsurfing, but I can see that kiteboarding literally adds a whole new dimension (up!). Knowing that I'm not exactly going to be boosting high right away, but focusing on the basics, what would be a good harness recommendation?

Thanks! I'm excited that I'm going to be back by the beach - it's 100% my happy place. I may break out the windsurfers, but truthfully kiteboarding appeals a lot more.

~ Adrian.

ColdWeatherKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Kakumäe, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France
Kite Beach, South-Africa
Vääna- Jõesuu, Estonia
Style: Freestyle and big air
Gear: Eleveight RS 8m2, 9m2, 12m2 2020
Eleveight Commander 137cm 2021

Re: Introduction and Harness Question

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm

There really isnt 1 best choice, everyone is different. Just go to the local surfshop and look for something supportive. Something with higher back and great support for sides. I wouldnt bother even trying a waist. Also ask the shop people. They can assist you and give recommendations.
Welcome!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Like you said, kite surfing adds the up dimension. All the more reason to start with a seat. A seat will give you more support and keep your hook low, and your bar will always be in reach. The last thing you need as a beginner is the distraction of a harness twisting or riding up on you. Once you get your bearings and are up and riding then you can always grab a waist. I use both, but if I could only have one it would absolutely be a seat.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Are you following this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=2392116&p=924120

SJBrit
Rare Poster

Postby SJBrit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

FLandOBX wrote:Are you following this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=2392116&p=924120
I am now! Thanks for the link.

SJBrit
Rare Poster

Postby SJBrit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 am

matth wrote:The last thing you need as a beginner is the distraction of a harness twisting or riding up on you.
That's something I hadn't considered. Good tip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”