Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Introduction and Harness Question

Introduce yourself as a new member to the kiting community. This well tell all of us who you are and very likely you will make new kiting buddies in your area or from visiting kiters.

SJBrit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: None yet!
Brand Affiliation: None

Introduction and Harness Question

Postby SJBrit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while reading and learning, but decided to sign up and start posting! I'm from the UK - I grew up sailing, windsurfing, skiing etc. on the south coast. I've been in the US for 20 years now in Alabama but am about to move to Bradenton, Fl. I can't wait! I'm itching to get back out there - I've already bought the beach cat I'll be sailing and my windsurfers have been haunting me the whole time I've been living inland :-)

I'm super-excited about learning to kiteboard. I taught myself to slalom ski, windsurf, wakeboard etc. but the stakes are much higher in kiteboarding it seems, so I'm happy that I'll be living in a spot where I can get some professional lessons locally. My plan is to spend time with an instructor until I feel confident enough to go solo and then look out for some used gear to get me started. I don't want to make a huge investment until I discover what type of riding I'm most drawn to.

There's one thing that concerns me though: I have lower back issues and have already had one surgery for a herniated disc. I'm wondering what kind of harness would be best to start off with? Seat/waist/shorts? I'm very familiar with a seat harness (with a sliding spreader) from windsurfing, but I can see that kiteboarding literally adds a whole new dimension (up!). Knowing that I'm not exactly going to be boosting high right away, but focusing on the basics, what would be a good harness recommendation?

Thanks! I'm excited that I'm going to be back by the beach - it's 100% my happy place. I may break out the windsurfers, but truthfully kiteboarding appeals a lot more.

~ Adrian.

ColdWeatherKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Kakumäe, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Hyeres, France
Gear: Gaastra Jet 13m 2013
Naish Park 9m2 2014
Liquid Force Element 136x41.5 2017

Re: Introduction and Harness Question

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm

There really isnt 1 best choice, everyone is different. Just go to the local surfshop and look for something supportive. Something with higher back and great support for sides. I wouldnt bother even trying a waist. Also ask the shop people. They can assist you and give recommendations.
Welcome!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, Switchblades, 14m Velocity . Cabrinha Ace, Shinn Monk, Litewave DV8

Postby matth » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Like you said, kite surfing adds the up dimension. All the more reason to start with a seat. A seat will give you more support and keep your hook low, and your bar will always be in reach. The last thing you need as a beginner is the distraction of a harness twisting or riding up on you. Once you get your bearings and are up and riding then you can always grab a waist. I use both, but if I could only have one it would absolutely be a seat.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Are you following this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=2392116&p=924120

SJBrit
Rare Poster

Postby SJBrit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 am

FLandOBX wrote:Are you following this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=2392116&p=924120
I am now! Thanks for the link.

SJBrit
Rare Poster

Postby SJBrit » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 am

matth wrote:The last thing you need as a beginner is the distraction of a harness twisting or riding up on you.
That's something I hadn't considered. Good tip.

Return to “New Members”