Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nj beginner landboarding spots and kite advice

Introduce yourself as a new member to the kiting community. This well tell all of us who you are and very likely you will make new kiting buddies in your area or from visiting kiters.

conorjohn5
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Sandy hook
Style: Beginner
Gear: 3.5 ozone imp trainer
Brand Affiliation: None

Nj beginner landboarding spots and kite advice

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:35 am

I have a ozone imp 3.5 that i mastered the controls for and found a landboard (atom 95x)real cheap and was wondering if anyone knew places in nj with enough room to learn/progress on a mountain board before my water lesson in october? And also because I'm a big snowboarder but don't have a high enough budget to get more than one kite yet would a flysurfer viron 2 6m be a good idea for me to practice on water and snowkite in the future until I get the second kite? Or would i be better waiting till after my lesson and getting a full setup? Any additional tips or advice would be greatly appreciated and defenitly not ignored.
Side info I'm 5 10 at 140 pounds and live in central jersey

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Re: Nj beginner landboarding spots and kite advice

Postby rtz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 am

October 11th through October 16th in Wildwood

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:03 pm

rtz wrote:October 11th through October 16th in Wildwood

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=55
Thanks for the info. I'm going to st lucia from the 12th to the 19th (which is where I'll be getting my first lessons). so i may go there on the 11th but it will be hard depending on when i get out of work being 2 hours away...

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:06 pm

post a message on the powerkite.com forum there are some nj guys there.

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 pm

I actually didn't know about the power kite forums until i was sent the link about the festival my main goal is to landboard to practice till my lessons but im wondering is it worth it to get the viron 2 so i can practice on the water or should i save money and get a full setup after my lessons? And again thanks for the advice

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi

As for location, Wildwood is still a good location AFTER labor day. Firm wide beaches at low tide. Stay away from beach crowds, which may still require being out early or late.

I would just start with the Imp for your first sessions. Definitely use protective gear (helmet & knee/elbow pads). I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Viron until after your water lessons.

Progression makes a kite landboarding instructional video, which would be good for the self taught. Also, do you have a harness?

Shoot for STEADY winds on the low end (10-15ish) for your first sessions, and be conservative.

If your going to keep with landboarding (in the winter, to avoid freezing water), then you might want to get a depower foil kite like the Viron.

If your using this only as a tool to progress to water, just use your existing gear.

JD

conorjohn5
Rare Poster

Postby conorjohn5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Jollydriver wrote:Hi

As for location, Wildwood is still a good location AFTER labor day. Firm wide beaches at low tide. Stay away from beach crowds, which may still require being out early or late.

I would just start with the Imp for your first sessions. Definitely use protective gear (helmet & knee/elbow pads). I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Viron until after your water lessons.

Progression makes a kite landboarding instructional video, which would be good for the self taught. Also, do you have a harness?

Shoot for STEADY winds on the low end (10-15ish) for your first sessions, and be conservative.

If your going to keep with landboarding (in the winter, to avoid freezing water), then you might want to get a depower foil kite like the Viron.

If your using this only as a tool to progress to water, just use your existing gear.

JD
Thanks for all the info I've been basically fooling around with my 3.5 for a couple years now but only now got a mountainboard to practice at least basic skills as i know it not only would help me prepare for the lessons but makes it a little easier on the instructor too. As im a big snowboarder i was planning on snow kiting come winter too.
I don't have a harness yet but planned on buying the dakine chameleon because im unsure whether im going to want a seat or waist harness but was told board shorts might be better. Definitely will be checking the progression dvd out been watching a lot of youtube instructables but a professional dvd will probably be best

Return to “New Members”