Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New to kiteboarding

Introduce yourself as a new member to the kiting community. This well tell all of us who you are and very likely you will make new kiting buddies in your area or from visiting kiters.

JustHavinFun
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: starter
Brand Affiliation: None

New to kiteboarding

Postby JustHavinFun » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to kiteboarding (but not new to water sports). I recently received a trainer kite as a gift. We tried it out yesterday at Fort Desoto State Park near St. Pete. I'm looking forward to learning more about kiteboarding and getting everyone's opinions on equipment, techniques, etc. Glad to be a part of the group.
Attachments
IMG_1096.PNG
IMG_1093.JPG

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New to kiteboarding

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:03 pm

More than welcome to this great sport!!!

Any questions...just ask!

BOEMIX
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: La Rubina (Spain)
Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: Blankforce mkv 138x42, North Wam 5,10, Naish Bullet 5,4, shin King gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 am

Just don't buy prehistoric cheap kites listed as "ideal for learning"

grigorib
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Ogden Dunes, IN; Michigan City, IN; South Haven, MI; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: 2012 Slingshot Rallys, Slingshot Turbine, Flysurfer Speed4, Best Kahoonas, Peter Lynn ARC
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 54", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:43 am

Welcome to the sport! Keep practicing flying that trainer and watch some videos which will explain wind window, where to/not fly.
Start with your stats to pick right size of equipment - weight, waist/jeans sizes
Do you surf/snowboard/wakeboard? How seriously?

CorradoWest
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Quality...

Postby CorradoWest » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Welcome! I am a relatively new kiteboarder as well ,and a very new member to this forum. I learned to Kite so I would have something to do in the summer when the surf on the west coast gets inconsistent. My Grandmother lives in Sarasota so I may be reaching out in the future to get the scoop on good spots back there.

Have fun learning and be safe!

- CW

JustHavinFun
Rare Poster
Gear: starter

Postby JustHavinFun » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:03 am

grigorib wrote:Welcome to the sport! Keep practicing flying that trainer and watch some videos which will explain wind window, where to/not fly.
Start with your stats to pick right size of equipment - weight, waist/jeans sizes

Yes, I do all the above for fun.

grigorib
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Ogden Dunes, IN; Michigan City, IN; South Haven, MI; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: 2012 Slingshot Rallys, Slingshot Turbine, Flysurfer Speed4, Best Kahoonas, Peter Lynn ARC
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 54", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:16 pm

JustHavinFun wrote:
grigorib wrote:Welcome to the sport! Keep practicing flying that trainer and watch some videos which will explain wind window, where to/not fly.

Yes, I do all the above for fun.

If you want any suggestions on kite/board/harness size mention your weight and waist size.

Return to “New Members”