Forum for kitesurfers
antarcticboy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: flysurfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Seat harness or back harness? whats the benefits

Postby antarcticboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:26 pm

I have just come back from living and kiting in the antarctic I had a seat harness and wondered if there would be any difference for water.......and how easy is it to convert?
Thanks craig

RhoneF
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha - F-One

Re: Seat harness or back harness? wats the benifits

Postby RhoneF » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm

A waist harness is a lot nicer for freestyle I find, seat harnesses are also good, but feels more bulky and a lower drag force point. I'd say ask a friend to try one, see if you're into it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Seat harness or back harness? whats the benefits

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:26 pm

it's called waist harness, not back harness.

A waist harness looks nice for sure. But not everyone can ride a waist harness due to problems with the body.
I for example cannot ride a waist harness, only seat, due to a bad back.

Just don't use the straps on your seat harness and see if you don't have any problems. If not, then just cut them off.
Or buy a waist harness...in any case you have two.

Maybe go somewhere where you can test some...several testivals (demos) have them available for testing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:10 pm

It might be very difficult to change.

Not because it is difficult in general - but if you are riding on snow/ice now, you might not be powered as much.

Thus your harness will have to take a lot more load on the water, and then EVERY little detail on the harness is critical - regarding how it fits you.

IF you ride extremely powered on snow, it might be the same for you snow and water, but most rides with a lot less load on snow and ice.

As others have said, personal what different riders prefer, ups and downs of both.

Seat is much more comfortable for most riders, and it does not ride up, and you can depower the kite more (at least you got more available travel if your bar allows this).
Some will also say you can jump higher, as you can hold more edge with the tow point lower (I second that myself).
You got a better view as you can twist your upper body more - really nice for everything.
So many, apart from those who because of their back have to, use seat harnesses. And when talking racing and hydrofoil power, always a seat.

Waist harness is the only choice if riding unhooked, as you can hook in and out without having to pull the loop down to an awkward low point.
You get more freedom moving your legs around, with a waist, thus for waveriding it is better, and you can save bad landings after jumps without crashing, easier.
So for freestyle and waves, waist harness is preferred by most.
Downside is it can slide up, a real PITA if this is the case, but depends on your body and harness and riding style.

Changing from one to the other, riding with the same power, is quite easy though.

Many of us use seat instead of waist for a long time, if we get a bent rib, till it is healed, or we change from waist to seat when going from waveriding to powerjumps or racing, or whenever we feel it is better one or another.
No problem at all.

The major issue is finding one that fits and works for YOU, and not another rider - more individual than anything else, so dont take recommendations for anything, you have to ride it yourself for a while, to know.
Our bodies are more different than fingerprints in this respect :naughty:

Above is some of the differences I am aware about, hope it helps :D

8) Peter

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Give a waist harness a try. I have lower back pain, but it doesn't bother me with a quality supportive waist harness. These days I like the snug, slim, Ride Engine harnesses. You can find the 2016 on sale now as they are pushing the current models (I don't think they've changed noticeably). ($186 w/ spreader bar, local shops should match this price.)

The waist harness is just nicer to put on and moves with your body better as you twist and turn with water kite motions. (like riding waves, toe side, etc.)

You'll notice some initial differences because your attachment point will be higher, but give yourself a session or two to adjust.

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy

Postby nismo98 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:08 pm

I started with a seat harness and it was better for pushing the bar out if you have short arm or a long throw. A lower centre of gravity also made it a bit easier to dig my feet in when getting pulled.

The reason I bought a waist harness is because I got supermaned one day and the strap rode up and hit the family jewels making it hard to recover or swim for a bit. I could probably find a better seat harness that wouldn't do that but I like the waist harness more for riding toe side anyways.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:08 pm

A
Last edited by edt on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rofer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None :(
Gear: Anything I can get my hands on.
Kites include fixed bridles, nasa wings, closed foils, and arcs.
I've got a snowboard, mountainboard, and two kiteboards.

Postby rofer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm just going to point out that you're all replying to a post from 2008. It's probably a little late to give any advice.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with my seat harness on the water and I don't see myself switching to a waist harness anytime soon.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:00 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm
Give a waist harness a try. I have lower back pain, but it doesn't bother me with a quality supportive waist harness. These days I like the snug, slim, Ride Engine harnesses. You can find the 2016 on sale now as they are pushing the current models (I don't think they've changed noticeably). ($186 w/ spreader bar, local shops should match this price.)

The waist harness is just nicer to put on and moves with your body better as you twist and turn with water kite motions. (like riding waves, toe side, etc.)

You'll notice some initial differences because your attachment point will be higher, but give yourself a session or two to adjust.

Seat for me, I switched from a Dakine fusion to NP gravity and love it...

How did your Rotator Cuff work out....I was following your thread from last year.....I'm 5 weeks and starting PT Monday

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:00 pm
...How did your Rotator Cuff work out....I was following your thread from last year.....I'm 5 weeks and starting PT Monday
Great, thanks for asking. It really does take a full year to feel normal in terms of strength and mobility. Sent you a PM with more info.

Return to “Kitesurfing”