Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

HQ Matrixx II / FS Speed 3/4 - 12 or 15 m^2 for beginner?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dr_T
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Apex III 7.5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HQ Matrixx II / FS Speed 3/4 - 12 or 15 m^2 for beginner?

Postby Dr_T » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi all,

I bought a used HQ Apex III 7.5 m^2 a couple of weeks ago and am now looking for something bigger for lighter wind days, a bit more lifty and a closed-cell for if I ever want to try it on water.

I am 100kg / 220 lbs and a beginner at landboarding and would like to be able to kite from ~8-20 kts. I am looking at the HQ Matrixx II and FS Speed 3/4, but not sure what size would be good for my (beginner) experience level and a good addition to the 7.5m^2 Apex I already have - I am wondering if the 12m^2 would be enough for my weight, but I am also concerned the 15m^2 might be a bit too big of a step up from the 7.5m^2 Apex. Given the availability of used Speed 3/4s, I'll probably end up with one of those, rather than a Matrixx II.

Any guidance on 12 vs 15 m^2 size and what to pay attention to buying a used Speed 3 or 4?

Thanks,

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: HQ Matrixx II / FS Speed 3/4 - 12 or 15 m^2 for beginner?

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 am

Your kinda in between the 12 and 15m in terms of wind range for your weight on the Matrixx 2. You seem to be set on an older speed but you can't go wrong with the Matrixx 2. Don't let the performance of that Apex influence your opinion on the Matrixx. The Matrixx is hell and gone a better kite.

Here's a quick review. http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and- ... ixx-2-2015

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

My favorite kite has been S3 12m. Never tried it in the lotus but between the two I'd get the lotus S4. Fabric ages better.

Dr_T
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Apex III 7.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dr_T » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will start out with the 12m^2, to be on the safe side. Can always get a 18+ size later when I have some more experience.

Your review of the Matrixx II was actually what made me consider it, Hardwater Kiter :). The thing is, the FS Speeds are way more available and I can choose between 7+ used ones in my country at the moment, for 0 used Matrix IIs. At this point, I'm just too much of a beginner to justify buying new.

Used Speed 3s seem to go for around €650-750 and used Speed 4s for around €1000-1100. You guys think the updated Speed 4 design/fabric are worth that extra cost?

Return to “Kitesurfing”