Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Bar trim for Airstyle

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Bar trim for Airstyle

Postby Macisback » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:04 am

I am using the Naish Drafts with the North 2012 Quad Bar, 25 m and the microloop/hook. (And am experimenting with line extensions between 28-32m)

I am using the inner bar settings for now.

The Draft doesnt allow any trim on the kite, it is fixed bridle and there are no trim options (not a bad thing - works like a charm as it is)

The only trim option therefore is the adjustment of the steering lines on the bar and of course the north depower trim (set to max depower, so I can ride overpowered)

Question:

What setting would you use on the steering lines (3 knots)?

If you trim them too long you have maybe to little power, but a very comfortable steering when you fully power the kite - the Draft has quite some bar power.

If you trim them to short the kite may stall or be too powered, resulting in some trouble being able to hold the bar completely powered.

My best guess is a happy medium - so from the 3 knots just use the middle one?

The North Bar and the Naish bar have the same line lengt, all 4 lines are the same. The only difference is that the safety of the Naish Bar flags out completely on a steering line, where as the north bar uses a high Y of the power lines to flag out (havent tried that yet)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: North Bar trim for Airstyle

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Hard to say which knot to use...you need to put the kite up and then see how it flies...and then trim accordingly.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Bar trim for Airstyle

Postby Macisback » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 pm

I have done exactly that in snow.

But I have only used the naish bar in snow so far, because the Drafts have such a brutal force/pull that I rode them all season long completely depowered - and still with 90-100kg i was lifted much higher then I could control and had to completely sheet in to come down again (12m2 Draft, 20 knots).

On the Naish bar I used the 2nd of 3 knots. Whenever I tried to ride the kite fully powered it had way too much lift to have any control - sure it was huge lofty gliding jumps, but in gusty wind over snow/ice I didnt have the guts to get going that much...Im still at beginner level with only 70 hours on a kite.

Compared to a Core Kite it was a huge difference.

Anyhow, I will keep experimenting - for now the Draft seems to be a great Airstyle Kite, I just have to get it adjusted right to the North bar I guess - a few guys ride it out of the box without any problems

Return to “Airstyle”