Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Design features of a potential specfic Airstyle board

Postby plummet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:40 am

An interesting discussion. An airstyle board will also be a high wind boosting board i suggest.

So do dissect the above.

When need a board that holds wads of power = thinner not wider, shorter not longer
soft landing = more rocker not less, flexible tips
loads and pops = rectangular shape as apposed to rounded tips
Strong/light = carbon fibre, wood core.
Swallow chop = round tips work here but we need rectangular shape for pop so. rocker and tip flex will be used to smooth chop.

Rounded edges to reduce injury = well thats easy for the center of the board as it will have more width. the tips need to be thin for flexability. I need to think about.

Perhaps the flex pattern lay up first then flexible grab rail installed afterward?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 am

Oooh grab rails in the mould itself, now we are getting somewhere!! texture might be an issue and crew like differnt heights and widths..

Channels in the bottom of the board for grip I mean Big K

not sure about rocker actually. Depends on water conditions, but you are holding big loads and you want the movement of slightly coming off your rail and rocking back to load up that rail as small as possible sometimes..and I know this is more about the length of the straight rail in the water but a lot of rocker also must have some impact on the amount of board in the water during that critical release...which is where it all matters in my opinion, correct release not only allows for maximum conversion of the load into height but also puts you in the right body and leg position for the board work as well...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:34 am

[quote="Macisback"]Well I think, following sijandy's posts that he does not share our opinion too much that Airstyle is a fabulous discipline of kitesurfing.

ah leave him alone he just likes to drop shit around like a pigeon then dance around it going, look what I've done, aren't I clever little bird...

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:59 am

Westozzy wrote:
sijandy wrote:
Macisback wrote:
- hold the edge until your knees explode (therefore max 130 cm long a d rather flat)
- have a weight of 3,5 kg including straps/pads, handle, grabs and fins (so it doesnt get blown away)
- land soft (flex)
- swallow chop (flex)
Pretty much your standard tt as they are now no, just with out all your add on shizzle?

So which board do you use for your airstyle sijandy and why?
Your sarcastic tone suggests to me that you feel i am only here too take the piss! :o

Westozzy wrote:
Macisback wrote:Little rocker for holding edge. Outline? No clue but Radicals and Trax show the way.

So a fairly long straight edge with square tips...what about in choppy conditions. Someone mentioned to me the cab tronic as an out there left of centre idea?

Mac' how high did you make your indi (toeside) rail grab rail in the end? 2.5 or 3cm?

How high you make the corner ones?

3.5kg hey...problem I'm finding (as my two boards are bang on this) is at 73kg, what has come with such a loss of weight is the muscle mass is proportionately reduced. Don't get me wrong I'm still a buffed prick (I wish), still strong enough but you bigger guys might not experience what it like doing say a tail grab spin (well I call it a tic tac) followed by a board indi rail flip...ya arm nearly falls off!! Also doing say a double forward tail grab board off spinning board onto the handle...or even chucking in a wizard or two...just don't have the damn strength...well I do but there is little room for error....

I'm gonna try a lighter board and try and find this balance for us smaller guys. Then again I have no intention of doing those kick flips (not a huge fan)... Will report back.

Sand down your fins you say...that's probably why my hands are all cut to shit...lol

Oh and to add to Big Ks outline question, to have channels or not to have channels?

Maybe sijandy with his experience with airstyle may shed some light on this? :D
...try growing a mullet and pointing your toes more. :D

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:04 am

Westozzy wrote: ah leave him alone he just likes to drop shit around like a pigeon then dance around it going, look what I've done, aren't I clever little bird...
have we met?

...haha yeh im not into your fairy shit but was following this one cos anything board making interests me. first post was genuine...did you not spot the '?' at the end?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 am

Ha ha okay then if you are genuine consider strapping yourself to an 18m kite in 15 to 20 (for mortals) holding immense load and releasing correctly to gain as much height as possible given the big ass kite just wants to drag your sorry ass downwind. The board needs to be relatively small but have some weight.

What woukd you recommend then given your interest in boards or suggest a possible board available now and why?

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Westozzy wrote:Ha ha okay then if you are genuine consider strapping yourself to an 18m kite in 15 to 20 (for mortals) holding immense load and releasing correctly to gain as much height as possible given the big ass kite just wants to drag your sorry ass downwind. The board needs to be relatively small but have some weight.

What woukd you recommend then given your interest in boards or suggest a possible board available now and why?
North Jaime? I did a repair on one of these a little while back, small, flexi and flat. Chuck your handles n what not n your good to go. I shape my own boards and so don't get to see/ride many production boards just the odd repairs i do here n there. From the specs someone posted earlier it seems to me like there are probably many boards already out there suited, i know it's just a discussion for a bit of fun but sometimes feels like reinventing the wheel.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Yep I have heard that board bandied around as a decent board to attach yourself to a big kite.

The rails look like they taper a bit early towards the tips but it's hard to tell I suppose on the computer. I will check one out next time I'm up at the shop.

Reinventing the wheel yeh agreed but sometimes good ideas come from discussing the obvious.

Every area has boards getting more specific for the style and even within the style and believe it not from someone who has ridden all the styles over the years this style as well is getting very specific as well. But you wouldn't know this until you've gone a little way at least down this rabbit hole and by the sounds of it you don't even want to look at the hole. Lol.

Return to “Airstyle”