Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Gunnar Biniasch RB King of the Air submission video

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:33 am

Westozzy wrote:
marlboroughman wrote:The sequence I envision for these competitions is a jump then forward loop with forward spin, the reason for the forward is that you go with the momentum and wind direction thus "heliloop" does not cause loss of altitude, short boardoff trick, now back loop on decent and for the best of the best quick and simple unhooked trick that is doable with almost no slack left, just before landing. That would be a killer and you satisfy absolutely everyone.

Agreed. don't concur with this looping fascination, but agreed on what they are looking for.

Thanks for the vision Gunnar .. Uncanny how similar our styles are.
I believe that big Kiteloops need to be executed with enough wind and small kites.

We all saw what happened to Jesse Richman when he took the risk and pulled the loop through when he was not powered enough.

I for one think that the current slew of video submissions on the RB Riders Page are far too loop orientated. It should be about going high, and most of the loops in the vid are not. I am also critical of my own height in my own video as I know I can go much bigger in proper windy conditions with kickers.

--
Gunnar

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Well hopefully the judges can extrapolate potential given the conditions. Good luck.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is the link to go and vote:

http://redbullkingoftheair.com/riders/

You just need to scroll down to my Video and then click like:

Thanks in advance to everyone who votes for me.

--
Gunnar

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 pm

I am always misunderstood for some reason talking about loops. I am not talking about megaloops small kites in crazy winds. I am talking about Chasta style gliding loops. You initiate them before 12 with slack at apex or on decent without taking a big scoop with the kite. You glide downwind in control and cover more distance. Only that kind of loop can be combined with any other tricks you want to cram in there. The loop with kite above can be done in zero wind where as if you send the kite down and there is no airflow for it to climb now you have a problem because your body has to fall below the kite to regain airflow and the water surface is in the way.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi Gunner, I believe this is only the submission stage. From all submissions RedBull after 21st (closure date of submission) themselves select the 10 best riders.
Then the voting round starts for those 10 as only 8 will go from the submissions. So (how I read it) it does not matter if someone has 1000 likes now, first RB decides, then the voting procedure will start. But I might be wrong off course.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Zian kiteboarding wrote:Hi Gunner, I believe this is only the submission stage. From all submissions RedBull after 21st (closure date of submission) themselves select the 10 best riders.
Then the voting round starts for those 10 as only 8 will go from the submissions. So (how I read it) it does not matter if someone has 1000 likes now, first RB decides, then the voting procedure will start. But I might be wrong off course.
That would make sense, but the timeframe makes me think different. Submissions close on the 21st, Invited riders need to says if they are coming by the 30th. That leaves them 9 days to decided the top 10, get the voting done and then contact the riders and the riders need to make plans.

I would rather be on the safe side and have a good number of likes on my video now.

--
Gunnar

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Red Bull want extreme...and megaloops are extreme.
I am sure every other rider will submit with megaloops, most of them in boots, so no boardoffs.
Look what the riders did last year, few with boardoffs. All with megaloops.

And I know some judges, and they are in favor of megaloops. They are exciting, but should not be all. Same with boardoffs, cool stuff, but only that won't get you in.

Just take a kite with shorter lines and do it...you should have enough height for it.

Talking about helicopter loops...most riders did them during KOTA, because their kites are very fast and they are high up. Without heli loops they will sink fast and crash.

I would love to do them on purpose during not huge jumps...but so far I could only do them with a lot of height (with an 18).

Anyone who can tell me how to do them in maybe 5m height? Would love to throw that in during my tricks...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 pm

I tend to agree with Toby. The people running this event a die hard wakestylers/megaloopers. Your airstyle only submission might not be what they are looking for. Throwing some old loop footage in for good measure might tip the balance

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Toby wrote: Anyone who can tell me how to do them in maybe 5m height? Would love to throw that in during my tricks...
I can do two at 3-4m height with a spin and grab in between no problem. The key is where you start them that's why I prefer to start with front loop especially with forward flying race kites. When you jump your race kite it ends up way behind 12 and that's where you start the forward loop from just behind the 12 so the kite goes around the 12. If you are doing back loop you have to have the kite in forward of 12 position to go back around 12. The other thing is the bar has to be in all the way so the kite doesn't want to take a big scoop but it wants to climb. Don't start them before you get to the apex. The perfect timing is at the apex when the lines get slack but it takes a good kite design that still has steering with the slack. My first two loops happened by accident, I didn't look back while going for forward loop forward spin transition and as I was coming out of it I saw a guy on a big 21m Flysurfer mothership following me to the shore so I had to loop again not to get sucked into his air intakes :rollgrin: I landed 1m from the beach going this was cool. If I could do a board off as quick as you I would fit it between the loops no problem. The best practice are those forward spin forward loop transitions everything else kind of flows from it and the key is you go with the wind and not against it so the first loop is a heliloop the rest of them will be heliloops even if you make a mistake with kite position because now you are falling down and downwind so you wan't get yanked. I am looking for a race type jumping, depowering kite that behaves like a Ckite thus turns with power, jumps from 12 and responds with a bit slack in the lines.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 pm

do you have a video of it? Would love to see it !

My latest dream is to combine my stuff with heli loops...help me ;-)

Return to “Airstyle”