Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board flip direction

Postby flybykite » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:31 am

Try and try again, I'm struggling to flip the board from the handle and catch it. I've been flipping it towards myself and I'm finding that it's extremely difficult to catch it by the handle again either because the board is rotating too quickly or if I try to slow it down, the wind catches.
After about 35 attempts, I tried it on the beach in the same 20 knot wind and I couldn't do it there either. I did find however that flipping it away from me using my thumb, I could catch it much easier but I think the flip does not look as clean since it rotates much slower.
I built a long carbon fiber handle specifically for this and I've got a grab rail. I'm riding a 130x40 shinn monk. Do you think the problem may lie in my board size? I certainly notice the width of the board much more when I flip it towards myself, finding it extremely difficult to get my hand around the board in a very short window of opportunity as the handle comes around.
Maybe it's just my timing with the flip.
Which way do you flip it and is there a particular speed to the flip?
Thanks
Other stoke, I am landing board spins easily now with he new handle.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Board flip direction

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:02 am

Its not your board size, I flip a 135 by 41 and Im a relatively small prick at 74kg. But i will support the fact that I agree it is harder to flip via handle to handle than say handle to indi rail or indi to indi. I tend to spin the board when using the handle to handle rather than flip, so it is more in the vertical plane. Sometimes really vertical on a solo throw or if just a quicky then slightly off the vertical plans...kind of on the same axis as when I take it off the feet and bring it around. I can do it on the horizontal plane but I miss it more often, or sometimes get whacked in the hand because my timing is off.

Hope that helps...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:32 am

Do you have my airstyle DVD?
There you can see how I flip it.

Or check my videos on www.airstyle.tv and see where I flip it.

Try it more relaxed, don't stress yourself.

You can flip it horizontal or vertical, both works fine.

Should work on land...keep trying and after a while you will get the feeling for it.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:45 am

I've have found that if my handle is to high (for a relatively small fella) the board will wobble on your wrist, and that can make the flips harder. I've since dropped my handle height to only 6cm which still gives me just enough room to get my foot in...not ideal but it was a compromise. The flips are much easier now but the T handle flicks aren't bahahahahhah

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:32 pm

A thick sticky handle will be an advantage

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Yep agreed and mine are. Lots of tennis grip tape the thicker stuff.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Been thanked: 0

Postby flybykite » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:44 am

Well, I gave it a few more days on the beach and on the water. It seems I'm only able to catch the board on the beach from the rail for now.
Yes Toby, I've got the dvd. You flip them towards yourself like most others. I think you are right though, just need to relax a bit more and start nailing the rail flips consistently before handle to handle. I did catch it once flipping it away from me so perhaps I'll focus there for awhile.

Nice tip for the handle thickness. Just to clarify that you don't mean width. My handle is quite wide but not so thick. Its kinda flat with a little bulk in the center from a piece of wood I carved and added to the layup. The handle is wrapped with a bicycle tire tube and although not extremely soft, it has grip and leverage to position it for the re entry. I could always fit it with some foam under the tube to increase softness and thickness if it helps.
Thanks for the tips.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 am

Being sticky and thick enough helps for a more controlled throw.
And then to catch it.
But sounds like it is like that, so keep practicing.
Important is also, that you throw it high enough.
Then make sure your wrist "snaps" to give it the rotation it needs.

In my opinion easier to flip the board while flying thru the air than on land, since wind will help to carry it...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:24 am

I also think it is easier to flip from the indi rail onto the handle..try that first..also I have a good two to three layers of tennis grip tape over my bike tube. As toby says tends to stick better when you grab it. If you blow up the one of the images below (i can on my iphone?) you can see the thickness of mine...works for me. Its the best I could do. There is a really old post in the general section when handle were being designed by ...that dude? (oh leocustoms it is shown in the add below), and toby had one of the prototypes and layered it with tennis grip tape. Thats shows it better...not sure where to find that thread now though...

Flybykite Toby is right, you gotta relax and it is much much easier on the water than on land. Good to train your biomechanics but then get out there and do it. Try..as you are taking the board off, as you lift your hand (on the board) flip the board using this momentum...also try and time it so the flip is intiated as you reach the apex of your jump...to start with, then you can do it at any time in the jump process..even earlier. So as you rotate (i'm assuming you don't throw the board out in front of you like toby who has a very unique style) but for the mere mortals among us...as you rotate, turning your head, lifting the board around, grab rail and then let the board keep swining around and up...then let this momentum carry it through the flip...

then relax..focus your eyes on the part of the board you are going to grab. Don't worry about the kite etc..if you crash your crash..but at least you've done the flip...! Then put it all together..be prepared to eat shit, even then relax while you are eating shit... :D
Attachments
H.jpg
H.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
J.jpg
J.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 3510 times

Return to “Airstyle”