Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North Dyno 2015 13m

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 pm

This kite is one out of the box...Well to be frank I think North have really missed a trick here marketing it as a pure race kite. This is an incredible advanced freeride kite as well in my opinion. It's hard to get REALLY excited after 15 seasons about a wing having flown so many since the two line foil days, but honestly I cannot wait to get back on this wing. It's the 13m I'm talking about but I would assume the 15m would have similar characteristics and I want one!

Obviously it has incredible wind range. At 74kg I have had it out from 10/11 knots (cranking! upwind on a 44 wide TT - so NOT a race board) all the way to 23/25 which is beyond it's specified wind range...not a problem. it is so damn light (you cannot help notice it when you pick it up either in the bad or inflated) it just performs in the light (relatively) stuff without hesitation.

It's predominantly a race kite, but it's stability is something to behold. You can place this kite in any part of the window, you have full control of this. On that light day mentioned, with some slight trim, I was hooking into the micro loop, leaning out and the kite would just sit in the perfect position to crank upwind...obviously as it picked up speed, I would unhook from the micro hook and slot it behind the stopper only a couple of inches up. This kite at this size is almost impossible to back stall. So stable and so intuitive.

The next thing is really hard to describe, but it must have something to do with that voodoo bridalling and the attachment points on the struts (and how they interplay with the wing geometry obviously). When jumping this kite it is almost like you have the choice of multiple kite feel options. What I mean is you can sheet out, send 'bow' kite type jumping...or if you wish, crank it from low down with power to give what feels very much like a C kite jumping feel. It won't stall on you like most high aspect race kites...in-fact it LOVES IT! The more WANG the better! This has me scratching my head every time I take it out. As I am always aiming for maximum hangtime I tend to use half way between a C and high aspect bow technique..and it loves it. It's not just me...another veteran of 14 seasons got on it the other day and his first comment when he got in was...I'll be stuffed you can make this kite feel like an old C kite (he rides dices but used to fly all the older C kites, fuels etc)

The bar pressure (although very nice even on the hard setting) increases as you pull in (no surprise), this offers great tactile feel, static grunt control (to load against) but more importantly... what you have is exquisite bar pressure and line load control. I tend to use the gust, let the throw out, then pull it back to this perfect load point, where the kite has immense power and yet you are not putting it too far back in the window...

then SEND!! And wack...even on a 13m you go get appreciable vertical lift, the aspect takes hold and you go long as well. Perfect for my board offs and you know where the kite is during multiple rotations, but also so much fun just to boost big and go long with a simple grab to stabilise the body position.

So there is this unique bar pressure feel built within this wing, and you can adjust this on the fly before you send depending on wind, water conditions and the board you are using. To be more accurate it doesn't require wing and board speed to jump like most race kites, that is it is easy more like a kite with low aspect. But of course, speed and good technique produce amplified results. Had a two year kiter take it out the other day and he felt comfortable straight away although he did say in 20 knots he felt this kite could scare him...and it would :D

In those light conditions I had a lot of time to inspect the wing at work. Those voodoo bridal attachments etc seem to make the leading edge turn as one..there is not much of that crappy wing tip shear going on. Sure the initial pull puts pressure on the wingtip through the back lines, but then the front and back lines then connect and turn the wing in perfect synchronization. This creates a superb mechanical feel. And it gives you complete control of HOW you want the kite to turn, how much power and how quick.

The thing is, although it offers incredible tactile par pressure feel, let the bar out, and the pressure drops off the kite and it screams around the window allowing you to point into the wind at ungodly angles even for an LEI. Even with large jumps and the downwind travel, one tack and you are back at your mark and most of the time beyond it.

It's got aspect...so the hang-time is superb, nothing new here...but what you get with this wing that I haven't found on other race kites, is the kite trajectory is very predictable, the decent is very predictable, there is none of this need to concentrate on your bar throw...or as with other wings, they suddenly fly precariously overhead.

...and just to mangle with your mind even more...I have had this kite in the waves on a TT...It works just fine, because you have this control of where you want it placed in the window. It's no wave kite obviously, but it WORKS just fine if you know what you are doing and are not focused on tight wave riding, which let's face it you should be on a SB anyway.

Honestly I could bang on for hours about this wing...and again I think North are missing a market here...this is an incredible advanced freeride kite!

Oh ...and the one negative for airstyle readers. It's bloody quick. That two year rider came in after a bit and said 'shit it's damn fast' (he rides 2015 dices, like to loop..be good to be 27 again!!), so I said have a good look at the bar (it was on the inside settings). I'm going to try it on 27m and 32m lines to try and slow it down a bit. But let's face it you are not looking to do as much on a 13m kite in 20 to 25 (I'm only 74kg) as you would on an 18 in 15 to 20. I find I scale everything back airstyle wise anyhow in those winds. So I'm not too concerned.

Anyhow for this particular sized kite and in this design this kite as I said is really one out of the box and a kite that has got little mention. It should have, it was only purely by accident I tried one..my wife wish I hadn't... :D try one.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: North Dyno 2015 13m

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Sounds good!

Anyone who can try it in 30 knots?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Doubt it...just about all would be on 7ms and smaller trying to look as though they are surfing around here.... :D

I don't know how stable it would be in those winds, not having a loaded fifth...well it's a weird one, depowered it's not loaded, pull to about half way and it loads...it's sort of half between, which is another weird thing about this wing.

I reckon it would be too fast for you to be honest and the level of tricks you do.

But for us mere mortals it is worth trying.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:20 am

So you saying I should sell my juice for a dyno? :P

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:08 am

Nope, different kite for different purposes, plus I'm not sure how this design translates to any other size...just the 13, jumping and doing board off work.

Toby was out in 23 to 25/26 today...held up pretty good for a 74kg dweeb like me, and I was on a 135 by 41 Laluz. Top end for me and this setup though, I was well over lit. But the canopy held up just fine, went huge and long. Was doing the crab crawl a bit though... :D

Especially when hooking into the micro...could have drunk and entire beer before I landed the time I had. Might try this one day....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 am

That sound nicely powered!
Pictures would be nice!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Sorry me and my brother out, no one else around except for old people on gopher mobiles...

All I know the water took on that completely covered white film you get when it hits 25 knots...even on the flat water.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Westozzy wrote:This kite is one out of the box...Well to be frank I think North have really missed a trick here marketing it as a pure race kite. This is an incredible advanced freeride kite as well in my opinion. It's hard to get REALLY excited after 15 seasons about a wing having flown so many since the two line foil days, but honestly I cannot wait to get back on this wing. It's the 13m I'm talking about but I would assume the 15m would have similar characteristics and I want one!

Obviously it has incredible wind range. At 74kg I have had it out from 10/11 knots (cranking! upwind on a 44 wide TT - so NOT a race board) all the way to 23/25 which is beyond it's specified wind range...not a problem. it is so damn light (you cannot help notice it when you pick it up either in the bad or inflated) it just performs in the light (relatively) stuff without hesitation.

It's predominantly a race kite, but it's stability is something to behold. You can place this kite in any part of the window, you have full control of this. On that light day mentioned, with some slight trim, I was hooking into the micro loop, leaning out and the kite would just sit in the perfect position to crank upwind...obviously as it picked up speed, I would unhook from the micro hook and slot it behind the stopper only a couple of inches up. This kite at this size is almost impossible to back stall. So stable and so intuitive.

The next thing is really hard to describe, but it must have something to do with that voodoo bridalling and the attachment points on the struts (and how they interplay with the wing geometry obviously). When jumping this kite it is almost like you have the choice of multiple kite feel options. What I mean is you can sheet out, send 'bow' kite type jumping...or if you wish, crank it from low down with power to give what feels very much like a C kite jumping feel. It won't stall on you like most high aspect race kites...in-fact it LOVES IT! The more WANG the better! This has me scratching my head every time I take it out. As I am always aiming for maximum hangtime I tend to use half way between a C and high aspect bow technique..and it loves it. It's not just me...another veteran of 14 seasons got on it the other day and his first comment when he got in was...I'll be stuffed you can make this kite feel like an old C kite (he rides dices but used to fly all the older C kites, fuels etc)

The bar pressure (although very nice even on the hard setting) increases as you pull in (no surprise), this offers great tactile feel, static grunt control (to load against) but more importantly... what you have is exquisite bar pressure and line load control. I tend to use the gust, let the throw out, then pull it back to this perfect load point, where the kite has immense power and yet you are not putting it too far back in the window...

then SEND!! And wack...even on a 13m you go get appreciable vertical lift, the aspect takes hold and you go long as well. Perfect for my board offs and you know where the kite is during multiple rotations, but also so much fun just to boost big and go long with a simple grab to stabilise the body position.

So there is this unique bar pressure feel built within this wing, and you can adjust this on the fly before you send depending on wind, water conditions and the board you are using. To be more accurate it doesn't require wing and board speed to jump like most race kites, that is it is easy more like a kite with low aspect. But of course, speed and good technique produce amplified results. Had a two year kiter take it out the other day and he felt comfortable straight away although he did say in 20 knots he felt this kite could scare him...and it would :D

In those light conditions I had a lot of time to inspect the wing at work. Those voodoo bridal attachments etc seem to make the leading edge turn as one..there is not much of that crappy wing tip shear going on. Sure the initial pull puts pressure on the wingtip through the back lines, but then the front and back lines then connect and turn the wing in perfect synchronization. This creates a superb mechanical feel. And it gives you complete control of HOW you want the kite to turn, how much power and how quick.

The thing is, although it offers incredible tactile par pressure feel, let the bar out, and the pressure drops off the kite and it screams around the window allowing you to point into the wind at ungodly angles even for an LEI. Even with large jumps and the downwind travel, one tack and you are back at your mark and most of the time beyond it.

It's got aspect...so the hang-time is superb, nothing new here...but what you get with this wing that I haven't found on other race kites, is the kite trajectory is very predictable, the decent is very predictable, there is none of this need to concentrate on your bar throw...or as with other wings, they suddenly fly precariously overhead.

...and just to mangle with your mind even more...I have had this kite in the waves on a TT...It works just fine, because you have this control of where you want it placed in the window. It's no wave kite obviously, but it WORKS just fine if you know what you are doing and are not focused on tight wave riding, which let's face it you should be on a SB anyway.

Honestly I could bang on for hours about this wing...and again I think North are missing a market here...this is an incredible advanced freeride kite!

Oh ...and the one negative for airstyle readers. It's bloody quick. That two year rider came in after a bit and said 'shit it's damn fast' (he rides 2015 dices, like to loop..be good to be 27 again!!), so I said have a good look at the bar (it was on the inside settings). I'm going to try it on 27m and 32m lines to try and slow it down a bit. But let's face it you are not looking to do as much on a 13m kite in 20 to 25 (I'm only 74kg) as you would on an 18 in 15 to 20. I find I scale everything back airstyle wise anyhow in those winds. So I'm not too concerned.

Anyhow for this particular sized kite and in this design this kite as I said is really one out of the box and a kite that has got little mention. It should have, it was only purely by accident I tried one..my wife wish I hadn't... :D try one.
Please let us know if you demo the Dyno 15 .

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:22 am

Nah not a chance. It's not a kite most retailers will stock as demo (around here anyway) due to it's small market. I'm using the 16m 2011 Dyno and the 18m rebel so might be years before I look at another option like a 15m. I will say this, been comparing extensive notes with a friend on the 18 Dyno and the qualities seem extremely close given obvious differences due to size. So the qualities mentioned seem consistent. So much so I have a 10m on order.

I honestly, hand on heart completly click with this kite.

But I do think north are missing a huge advanced free ride market and seriously why not make it one pump, will that small weight make any real difference. I doubt it.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:24 am

Westozzy wrote:Nah not a chance. It's not a kite most retailers will stock as demo (around here anyway) due to it's small market. I'm using the 16m 2011 Dyno and the 18m rebel so might be years before I look at another option like a 15m. I will say this, been comparing extensive notes with a friend on the 18 Dyno and the qualities seem extremely close given obvious differences due to size. So the qualities mentioned seem consistent. So much so I have a 10m on order.

I honestly, hand on heart completly click with this kite.

But I do think north are missing a huge advanced free ride market and seriously why not make it one pump, will that small weight make any real difference. I doubt it.
Thanks for the reply . I guess they thought the Juice would be a big hit.

Return to “Airstyle”