Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fastest Kite?

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 am

I used to be of the opinion that the biggest kite you can hold down for the conditions will give you the biggest jump and glide.....but I have proven myself wrong. In the 20-25 knot range my 13m edge boosted massive and glides sublime. Then I got a 10m edge

I can boost higher and longer on the 10m than I can on the 13... .. weird but true.

Now I'm boosting off wave lips and have a 30m to 80m run up before the next ramp. The 13 has more power and glide but I can Wang the 10 to a faster board speed in the run up Window and also time the wave lip better and slam the redirect harder and thus I go a lot higher. Then at height I simply work the kite back and forth across the zenith to keep glide going.
The end result it rediculous distance covered.

So much so that I have several times had to take evasive action mid air to miss other kiters as I significantly under estimated the distance I would cover in the air.

Any way even though the 10 jumps higher further longer than the 13. The 13 is still the better airstyle kite. Why?. It turns a lot slower and needs f*** all rider input mid air. The 10 needs constant flying to achieve super massive jumps. That's a deal breaker for the air stylist.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 am

I used to be of the opinion that the biggest kite you can hold down for the conditions will give you the biggest jump and glide.....but I have proven myself wrong. In the 20-25 knot range my 13m edge boosted massive and glides sublime. Then I got a 10m edge

I can boost higher and longer on the 10m than I can on the 13... .. weird but true.

Now I'm boosting off wave lips and have a 30m to 80m run up before the next ramp. The 13 has more power and glide but I can Wang the 10 to a faster board speed in the run up Window and also time the wave lip better and slam the redirect harder and thus I go a lot higher. Then at height I simply work the kite back and forth across the zenith to keep glide going.
The end result it rediculous distance covered.

So much so that I have several times had to take evasive action mid air to miss other kiters as I significantly under estimated the distance I would cover in the air.

Any way even though the 10 jumps higher further longer than the 13. The 13 is still the better airstyle kite. Why?. It turns a lot slower and needs f*** all rider input mid air. The 10 needs constant flying to achieve super massive jumps. That's a deal breaker for the air stylist.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm

AirBunny wrote:Your brain is 99% instinct, which is what the figurative term "gut" stands for. But din't worry, I don't expect 'intellect' from literal, underdeveloped minds who can't handle figurative meaning.
Choosing what style of kite you take out on any given day is a cerebral decision with time to deliberate. What kind of kite you buy is also an evaluative choice, instinct in the realm of kiteboarding is purely a figurative term, and can only be based in experience. Plenty of people trying to help you out here, but time and time again you state that tho your thankful for answers you don't entirely trust the advice and will stick to your personal (often erroneous) assertions. When your patently wrong despite being provided well articulated and thought out answers your lack of experience (gut or kiting instinctcs if you prefer) are painfully apparent. Go ahead, learn the hard way! My apologies if you find this answer under developed.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Let us know how it goes. I take it you are buying a new kite and deciding which to get?

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Been thanked: 0

Postby AirBunny » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:09 pm

First off, if you are giving advice and teaching others, you should sensitize yourself to some basic pedagogical principles: don't patronize the student and always keep in mind that every student has a different experience with the material, which counts, and which is what I was trying to say with the gut-argument. Otherwise your advice is counterproductive and you are just wasting time. Empathy is hard but very useful.

Secondly, yes, I did get a new size Core XR3. It's pretty incredible. It flies on its own. Just strap it on, jump on your board, and enjoy the ride. It tells you when to jump too and won't let you down, literally! I don't look very pretty on it yet as I'm still getting used to it, but we'll learn to dance together, I'm sure.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:07 pm

nice. I haven't ridden a core yet, we are getting a demo here this year, def going to try it.
Last edited by edt on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm

AirBunny wrote:First off, .......... Empathy is hard but very useful.
You'll find the empathy flows a little more freely when you stop petting the cat backward when first wading into the majority of threads.

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Been thanked: 0

Postby AirBunny » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Different strokes for different cats! I know I won't stroke all of them the right way. But I'll work on my empathy strokes

Return to “Airstyle”