Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airstyle/Hydrofoil/Wave Hybrid custom modified Dynabar Harness ION B2

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airstyle/Hydrofoil/Wave Hybrid custom modified Dynabar Harness ION B2

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:35 am

I finally managed to build a harness that suits all 3 riding styles I prefer (new to Hydrofoil and Directional/Wave, experienced in TT).

Most of all this should work brilliant for Hydrofoil Airstyle - Fixed Hook with at same time added ability of a sliding ring without interfering the fixed hook setup.

I took a B2 Ion seat harness and attached a Dynabar.
To make this a smooth setup, I added a few modifications:

- Turned Dynabar on its head to gain 1cm more distance between fixed hook and Sliding ropes with rings (upper holes are only for the elastic rope) so it really slides freely, even when the kite is low
- Added 2 layers boat deck tape rolled round the belt buckle end, of the belt buckle that came with it, to avoid the buckle sliding out
- Added Dakine Clip Lock buckle (sanded the bar on the Dynabar it clicks to a bit down 1-2 mm in the middle) so it fits (Quick lock is important to me, as I tie the belts with knots, so they dont loosen up)

Legstraps are able to being pulled through the holes on the Dynabar, similar to the rings on the original spreader bar, dont think there is a difference in feel.

Now the last thing I am working on is to replace the slider ring from Jaystore (14mm wide, cant take my North Chicken Loop) with one that opens more into a round shape so it works with releasing the chicken loop.
Currently i use the two steel rings, which wear the Dyneema off a bit faster refering to Jaystore (wozldnt be the end of the world, those Dyneemas come cheap).

I also added a 2nd Dyneema rope under the hook and short sliding leash.

I didnt remove the emergency release (red ball attached to metal splint, help by elastic mini rope) for both ropes, but after trying to telease and fix it once, I know the shit needs to hit the fan really hard before I use it - cant reassemble in water (no issue with fixed hook) but its still time consuming on land! Still good to have it, in case the quick release of the Bar doesnt work.
Last edited by Macisback on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Airstyle/Hydrofoil/Wave Hybrid custom modified Dynabar Harness ION B2

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:43 am

Pictures please

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 am

20160611_030849.jpg
20160611_030843.jpg
20160611_030837.jpg
20160611_030829.jpg

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:50 am

DYBNABAR-V8-Conf-SlidingRings-FixedHook.png
This is how its used, havent decided yet how I will set up the Chicken dick. Remove (fix it to the loop by using a metal ring) or use it before jumping.

As the chicken loop cant go further than on the rope I will need to try what feels best.
Last edited by Macisback on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:54 am

20160610_203657.jpg
20160610_203502.jpg
This is the sliding ring i mentioned.
2nd the original, 1st how it could be used with 2cm wide chicken loops like North (just so you can imagine the required shape I put a ring on top of it)

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:07 am

schckelgeschwungen.jpg
RGR604_trapeze_3.jpg
I guess one of the two with a Pulley Wheel and the right screw could be the answer.

Havent found one with M6 screws and 14mm inner distance that has a inner radius/circle diameter of 2,5-3cm.

Maybe instead of keeping Jaystores Pulley Wheel (14mm wide with M6 Screw) its better to use a complete different setup with D-ring with M8 Screw and a different Pulley Wheel.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 am

http://dmmprofessional.com/products/shackle/

Could be a fit?
minishackle.jpg
minishackle.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 4094 times

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:31 am

So I used a coated/painted steel Omega shackle for forest work and added a polished alloy pipe with low friction as a bearing.

In addition I added 2 supermagnets on the fixed hook, so the shackle would either move freely on the top rope or when I use the fixed hook, be attacked to the same but still be moveable. This way its not making constant noises and is not in the way.
20160713_192556.jpg
20160713_194327.jpg
20160713_194356.jpg

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:03 am

Macisback wrote:Now the last thing I am working on is to replace the slider ring from Jaystore (14mm wide, cant take my North Chicken Loop) with one that opens more into a round shape so it works with releasing the chicken loop.
Sorry, just seen this. I solved this problem by using a 6mm 'D' shackle which the Jay Delrin wheel fits perfectly because the shackle has a 6mm bar and is near enough the right width (iirc I opened it up a couple of mm). I don't use a CL btw.

Onto this 'D' shackle is TIG welded a 25mm x 6mm ring with a section cut out (I simply cut it with a hacksaw). Both the 'D' shackle and circular ring are 316 stainless and a local welding shop did the job for £5. Both have breaking loads in excess of 1,000 kg and the weld can't be far off that.

As far as I can see all you might need is to use a larger ring for your CL. Hope the pic works for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1x0sulcn96p8 ... re%203.jpg
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Nice one, went back to the two rings, less hustle with corrosion. The Magnets were cool though!

Return to “Airstyle”