Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Video Clips Toby Braeuer Airstyle

Postby jeromeL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:35 pm

And so many more options, it's crazy. To do list has another 1500 trick combinations on it, and if I would go really exact after all, another 1500 easily.
Now add kiteloops, switch and blind to all, we have another 5000 (which I won't do, others can do).
It doesn't stop. There is only one discipline who can offer this: AIRSTYLE.
Right if you start doing all your tricks as regular, you can double your tricks ;)
Maybe that lagoon works better as Goofy? Most of my offshore laggon/sandbar setup works well for goofy but occasionally it's better regular side, I try both ways but of course for some tricks it's easier one way.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Na, Cumbuco and lagoons are mainly for right jumpers...luckily ;-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Record Session! 43 new tricks in 2:45 hours! I was on fire and the ideas kept coming...but also some of my to do list.
Look at this beauty...soooo smooth!

Beach & Water Darkslide Back 360

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

DWX wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 pm
50 crashes??? Oh my, I don’t think I’ll crash 50 times in my lifetime. Way over my head. But super interesting to everyone who is filming high tech tricks!!!

My respect! This is hard, dedicated work and it looks beautiful!

Rip on!
This is something I've thought alot about recently and a great point - the price we pay to learn a new trick - aka the "ticket to admission for trick mastery." I think crashing is a skill that is every bit as important as riding. Having an acute awareness of the kite's position in the window is key and without that intuition, it can be very dangerous. That said, its definitely something you should pursue if it inspires you. I am a TOTAL newbie Airstyler - nowhere near Toby - so I simply started out by working on the actual tricks in lighter wind (less than 16kts) and then in powered conditions (18 to 25kts) I will just get used to flying my big kite, boosting, and developing comfort with flying horizontally. It is true - you need at least 18kts to get the float to do most of Airstyle stuff but you can still get alot done and benefit from working on stuff in lighter wind. The most challenging part of Airstyle stuff for me is simply getting used to having a big kite up in 20 kts, especially at 155 lbs. But its coming along slowly but surely, injury free so far with the exception of some minor tendonitis that arises after riding several days in a row. Like all things, if it something that is inspiring you should definitely pursue it but take it one very small incremental step at a time. Then, you will stay safe and have a blast. Good luck :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:12 am

Well said Lindsey!

This is how one should approach it. Lighter winds, bigger kite. Then stay out of wind picks up...learn how to control the kite with more power to find your limits.

Don't launch a bigger kite in stronger winds if you are not really experienced and know your limits and know how to be safe at launch and landing.

With more and more airtime more tricks are possible. Crashing is as important as landing. You need to feel your kite and the tricks. Then you will understand quickly what's going wrong and correct it immediately.

And knowing how to crash is also key to less injuries. That's why I added the section "how to crash" to my Airstyle DVD. It's important. We want as little risk as possible to be able to keep pushing further and further.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 am

I once watched Toby kiting for about one and half hours in San Andres in somewhat lighter winds. He did crash many times working on tricks but what was interesting to me that his kite never hit the water when he crashed. Kite was always overhead. Comes I guess with great kite control

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks, Lindsay! That’s really sweet and encouraging. Finally someone who hears what I’m saying! Yes, I need to be mentally prepared for a crash. I’m terrified of crashing, especially of dropping the kite while crashing. It happened once, I totally lost control & direction & never tried again. But I can hold down bigger kites in 18-25 Knots with my 55kg (that’s wet!) and I try not to drop my kite, ever, so if you have any tips on how to crash without dropping the kite I’m all ears! Thanks, guys, this is a very helpful discussion!

That darkslide was delicious Toby! Nice

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am

The slower the kite the more control you have. Plus if you have good bar feedback you feel where the kite is.
A small kite is hard to control, one little steering mistake and you get accelerated, which leads to bad crashes. That's what I am saying: the slower the kite the more you will progress, since you have trust in your kite that even if you crash it does not destroy you.
If I would fear to get injured badly I wouldn't do any tricks neither...that's why most people don't progress.
But what can happen with a 16 sqm kite in 15 knots? But what happens with a 7 in 30 knots? I would fear a crash every time I would approach a trick...then better do nothing.

In 6 years of filming I hurt my rib and foot for a week. Plus my thumb for 1 month. That's it. But pushing the limits to land 2000 tricks. Thx to my 18s.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 pm

lindseym wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

This is something I've thought alot about recently and a great point - the price we pay to learn a new trick - aka the "ticket to admission for trick mastery." I think crashing is a skill that is every bit as important as riding. Having an acute awareness of the kite's position in the window is key and without that intuition, it can be very dangerous.
True that learning to fall and crash is important, now I am not afraid to try anything I didn't get hurt in a long time wiping out and I crash pretty hard pretty often with no issues. I think I get hurt more on 3 feet high unexpected failure than on huge messed up kiteloop.

Butt checking landing, recovering from uncontrolled rotation, keeping track of kite, late loop on side of window to slow down, learn to skip on top of water while avoiding board to catch an edge and tumble ...
Maybe those Judo's lesson as a kid help me out ;) First thing you learn is how to fall.

Somehow after a while you just know how to minimize damage.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm

exactly! And I see you have a good progression! Keep pushing Lindsey!

Return to “Airstyle”