Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

How To: 313 by Florian Scharscher

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:11 am

How To: 313

The 313 was one of my first handle passes on my switch riding side. It's a railey, followed by a frontside 360 rotation, passing the bar in the air and landing heel side. If you are already doing railey's to blind in regular, the 313 on your switch side will come easier as its the same rotation. Let me take you trough a few personal key elements I figured along the way...
313 1.jpg
313 1.jpg (105.9 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
1. COMING IN: To do a full 360 after a railey you need time, height and a bit of aggression. Attempt your take off with good speed (80% of your maximum riding speed) and aim to pop out 1-2m. Do this by focussing on your heel side edge while building up speed for your pop. Try to feel and control the force traveling through your body which is getting projected onto the heel side edge. To understand heel side edge control, imagine you had no fins and had to control your board with body tension aswell as balancing your weight from front foot to the back. Focus ONLY on the positive outcome of your trick!

2. TAKE OFF: keep your arms bend and locked in 90 degrees during take off and flight. Tension your body and lean back to apply all your power and speed onto your heel side. When the counter pressure on your heels starts feeling very solid you have reach the apex of the tension in your lines, they have streched out and your kite has sunk in deeper into the wind window. The power is ready to be released, do this by carving out the heel side of your board in a clean curve. This will eject you straight upwards.
313 2.jpg
3. GOIN UP: As your back leg carves out of the water and you start gaining height, try to bend your front leg and continue pushing out your back leg to gain a position many riders use for the 313, the tweaked railey. The tweack is when you push out your back leg, going away from the kite. Keep your bar locked in 90 degrees and notice how the distance between the bar an your back leg increases.
313 3.jpg
4. APEX: recognizing the apex is a technique where you feel weightless, nor going up or down. As you get more experienced you can seemingly stretch the time in the apex, which is simultaneously the moment where your line slack is born. Change your body position now, useing the distance from your bar to back leg to pull in and create a rotation moment. Support this by pulling your back leg towards the bar and up. Literally throw yourself into the rotation by pulling the bar in as hard as you can.
313 4.jpg
5. PASS AND LAND: as your body starts rotating, let go of your front hand and continue spinning. Your back hand will guide your bar around your hip where your hands will meet for the pass. There is rotation on one side the handle pass on the other, with the rotation being priority over the pass. The feeling is, rotating for as long as it takes to get back to your center position only passing the bar because there is nothing left to do. After this you will land almost instantly. Allow your body to sink in and absorb the force while you to distribute your weight over your board.
313 5.jpg
6. PROBLEMS:
KITE TO HIGH = feels like you can't complete the pass as the bar gets ripped out towards the end. Don't try to compensate missing speed and pop by sending the kite up. Focus on step 1.
-> keep the kite at 45-60degree and increase your speed.

LOOSING THE EDGE = will result in an unclean flying position or no pop.
-> tension up your stomach muscles as you build up speed to project the power through your body onto your heel side edge.

MISSING THE APEX = your body is not synchronized and parts of it are trying to go in different direction which makes it hard to observe the apex moment.
-> practice the tweaked railey position with bend arms and focus on your back leg.

TRIPPING ON LANDING = disorientation/ wrong estimation of hight and board angle.
-> Spot your landing for a split second after passing the bar and make a quick judgement on your altitude and how to land with your board. Translate this naturally and directly in your movement.

http://www.florianscharscher.com/2014/0 ... o-313.html

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How To: 313 by Florian Scharscher

Postby Wiski23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:57 am

Love the 313. This will be my next trick I learn once I get my s-bend locked down.

hoxton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marazion, The Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Marazion. Tarifa, LaVentana BCS.
Gear: Airush Vapor x, LIquid Force Envy, Liquid Force HI-Fi, North Gambler

Postby hoxton » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, what a trick, I'm aiming for that be the end of the summer!

Mehdino
Rare Poster
Gear: North Vegas

Postby Mehdino » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I've noticed that the back hand fingers placement is very important on the 313 (mainly in the center of the bar), but I can't even do a railey with this finger configuration. is there any other solution for the hand placement?

Return to “Kitesurfing”