Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

control bar for 2012 Fuel?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitenight
Rare Poster
Local Beach: East Tawas
Style: wakestyle
Gear: 2013 Fuel 11m, 2013 kahoona 7.5, Best bar, Dakine Pyro harness, Best Armada board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

control bar for 2012 Fuel?

Postby kitenight » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Hey guys, new here and new to kitting. I just got my first kite the other day, 2012 11m Fuel ( I know it's not a beginner kite ) and am looking for the best control bar to match it with. The guy that sold it to me recommended a 5 line since I'm new and C kites don't depower as much yet another guy that knows me well said I would be fine and catch on just fine with a regular 4 line setup. I rode semi pro wakeboarding when I was 19 and have been flying the HQ 350 for a whole year ( I was supposed to get all my gear last year and only ended up with a trainer kite ). There's an empty parking lot in a field I have been going to for a while on my longboard flying my trainer and I'm very comfortable tacking back and forth heel side and topside and also flying the kite one handed. I know my previous boarding skills aren't going to make me a expert kite boarder right away but they will obviously help greatly since all I need to focus on is flying a kite which as mentioned I have already had a fair amount of time doing. Anyway, now that everyone is kind of caught up on my history I would appreciate some opinions and recommendations for a bar for the fuel. Would it be best to start with a 5 line or would I be fine learning with 4?
Thanks for the help! Hopefully I will have up some pictures soon!

http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com/20 ... aQodCkoAqw

that's the bar I was recommended

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: control bar for 2012 Fuel?

Postby edt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm

the reason most other c kites run 5 lines is to tension the 5th line which provides more bar throw & depower, best gp, north vegas, naish torch for instance and many of these kites require a 5th line for relaunch. They simply will not fly without the 5th line. For the fuel you do not need a 5th line, and i probably wouldn't bother. The 2012 fuel relaunches on the rear line. I would match it with any modern bar you like that releases to a single center line. Or just get a 5 line bar that works too. C lines continue to fly if rear lines go slack so it's very important if you use a 4 line control bar that it flags out to a single center line (not both center lines). If you like you can put tension on the 5th line and give the 2012 fuel a bit more depower, but I wouldn't bother part of the charm of the modern fuels is that it is only modern C kite (aside from the Lenten kite) that you can run on a 4 line bar. If you go with the 5 line bar, I would start a 5 line bar with the center line completely slack see how it flies for you. Naish, slingshot, liquid force, ozone, best, any of those control bars are fine, but you have to make sure it's not an older bar. The old bars use double center flag out and won't be safe with your kite.

clicking on that link that 2012 naish bar is a hell of a value. Under $250. I bought a closeout naish control bar two years ago, very happy with it, nice bars.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:57 am

I say go with 5 lines. Modern fuels fly great with 5 lines, have the purpose built attachment point and the extra support improves their comfort in their weak suit.... gusty winds.

If you know your ass from a hole in the ground you can do just fine with that as your first kite, but thats definitely another reason to put a 5th line on it. Its probably the best and safest flagging system out there, its much more re ridable than leashing to a single front line, and learning to 5 line relaunch means you will NEVER not be able to get it back up in the air.

I learned on an 11m C kite back in 2003. I put a 5th line on it while learning to fly and relaunch it on a deserted hill side and had the skill down before ever riding on snow. By the time I went to the water relaunch was pretty much on lock. I advise you get it down in clean light winds in an appropriate spot on open grass or sand where you can walk around and learn the mechanics before you attempt it while swimming.

I currently have a couple fuels that I ride exclusively 5 line. I do it by choice, knowing they work fine on 4 lines. Your already going to go against most recommendations by starting out on a C kite, you might as well make it as safe and easy as you can. You can alway switch to 4 line once you can stay upwind.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:15 pm

I have fuels 2009/2013..works better with 5...not only for safety reasons..fuel need 5line in 13m and 11...i feel difference..i have in the 9m too..try

kitenight
Rare Poster
Local Beach: East Tawas
Style: wakestyle
Gear: 2013 Fuel 11m, 2013 kahoona 7.5, Best bar, Dakine Pyro harness, Best Armada board

Postby kitenight » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks for the replys. Sorry to ask a simple question but can someone describe what flagging is please? Sounds like I'm going to go with that 5 line naish but after reading about flagging and multiple center lines I'm not sure what that naish is.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:30 pm

Naish and north with v line in the centre dont work very good....need bar with line all same lenght ..
Naish bar its ok on torch..i use 5line slingshot bar on torch and was my favorite kite ever...
U need bar similar to slingshot bar..very important...

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Dont think the Fuel works with a high Y!!!!

Will get back later

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 pm

the pic of the naish is a little misleading. the frontline splits like halfway up and the Fuel doesnt like that. a normal 4 line slingshot bar with a homemade 5th would do the trick

flagging is just when you release the kite to a single line it "flags out"like a flag, with out any pull

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 pm

If you go 5 lines, the 5th is the flag line. It is a bummer that naish bar is the right idea, but actually the wrong bar. Torches run with more tension in the 5th and the front line run as a single for a few meter and split really high. A low split and 5th line with almost no tension is best for your Fuel. The right bar won't be too hard to find. If I see one, I'll post it here. Whatever happens, your fitting a bar and a kite that were not sold together so you will want someone who can help you get it set up properly. Trying to learn on it without having it set up properly is a non starter. One of your buddies is the best bet but if you need help along the way send me a PM.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:03 pm

kas911 wrote:the pic of the naish is a little misleading. the frontline splits like halfway up and the Fuel doesnt like that. a normal 4 line slingshot bar with a homemade 5th would do the trick

flagging is just when you release the kite to a single line it "flags out"like a flag, with out any pull
you are right kas911 that picture is so misleading!

He can't use the naish bar for his fuel, like you said the high Y will make it fly funny.

I'm looking at the picture again and I now notice it has two squiggles above the bar which I realize now means this line goes up for a few meters before it splits.

Return to “Kitesurfing”