Spain - Fuerteventura - René Egli
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: Duotone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recover after crash

Postby crossmax » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Hey guys... I wonder how you recover after crash with your boots on. Sometimes you're being rotated because of the board drag so you're laying on the water with your head looking downwind and your board upwind. Exactly 180° as you should be to waterstart. You can't really turn cause of kite pulling you a bit and with board in the water it is dragged behind you... So how do you guys recover?

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Recover after crash

Postby slim_charles » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 pm

send it hard to 12

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:06 pm

crossmax wrote:Hey guys... I wonder how you recover after crash with your boots on. Sometimes you're being rotated because of the board drag so you're laying on the water with your head looking downwind and your board upwind. Exactly 180° as you should be to waterstart. You can't really turn cause of kite pulling you a bit and with board in the water it is dragged behind you... So how do you guys recover?
there's a million ways to recover from the superman position. send the kite. that's the easiest but sometime it's not windy enough. Use your abs and crunch the board into position. this isn't too hard and is good exercise. Spin in place 90 degrees and then twist your board 90 degrees, then unspin again. Have you seen how a cat lands on its feet if it's upside down in the air? This the same trick. It's faster than using the crunch because your board is not in the water when you twist. This method is also useful when you get into the superman position in the snow. or just drop the kite into the water and swim into position and then relaunch.

Or make up your own technique. All up to you.

crossmax
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Italy - Grado
Favorite Beaches: Greece - Rhodes - Meltemi Club
Egypt - El Gouna - Element Watersports
Spain - Fuerteventura - René Egli
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: Duotone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby crossmax » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:07 am

With Superman position you probably mean laying in water on your belly. I mean just the other way looking at the sky, laying on your back, looking at the kite and the leading edge just on the f****g wrong side of me :)

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slim_charles » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:51 pm

crossmax wrote:With Superman position you probably mean laying in water on your belly. I mean just the other way looking at the sky, laying on your back, looking at the kite and the leading edge just on the f****g wrong side of me :)
Roll over, launch kite, send to 12, away you go :)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:40 pm

crossmax wrote:With Superman position you probably mean laying in water on your belly. I mean just the other way looking at the sky, laying on your back, looking at the kite and the leading edge just on the f****g wrong side of me :)
yeah that happens a lot to me. I usually let go of the bar because your instincts are all backwards and it's easy to accidentally crash the kite. Twist your legs, then twist your torso. Like a cat spinning into place if it's upside down. Like I said before, this same sort of motion can also let you go from superman to riding position.

Maybe this video will help:

cats do the head first and then the legs you can do it that way if you like. I do the feet first for some reason. Anyway it takes less than a second even if the kite is pulling you. After you are in the superman position proceed as usual.

Return to “Kitesurfing”