Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which boards have the raised edge for use on the park?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Which boards have the raised edge for use on the park?

Postby edt » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I think you can use any board you like. If you want a rounded rail on your kiteboard then get out the sander and round it off, then afterwards apply a thin layer of epoxy. However why? Why not use a wakeboard a the park? the simple reason is cost. You can get a used wakeboard for $25, or even a brand new pro model for $250. contrast that to a pro level kiteboard like the hadlow for $1,000 or the wakestyle north board like the gambler for $800. Even if you have a kiteboard that has that wake style bottom, it's still vastly more expensive than a wakeboard and it really sucks when you snap a kiteboard at the park. That said I do ride my kiteboard at the park, why because I want to no other reason. I would not buy a kiteboard specifically to ride in the park. I would only buy a kiteboard to kite with and then if you feel like it take it to the park a couple of times. it's so much cheaper to buy a wakeboard than a kiteboard. doesn't make any sense to ride a kiteboard at the park if you go there a lot. You don't want to be so worried about hurting your board that you stay off the terrain.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm
jeromeL wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 pm
rynhardt wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry for going off topic, but I don't get why concave would help with upwind ability?
Concave helps to stiffen the board and it makes landings harder.
NorCalNomad said it, if you don't have fins concave and channels helps with edging and tracking upwind. You don't think so?
Channels yes, not as efficient as fins, but they do provide lift. Concave, not so much. It may provide like one degree more edging than a flat bottom. Nothing significant, in my opinion.
Yeah I meant channels as well. Meant to type "contours" as a catch all term.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:01 pm
jeromeL wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm
Balser Boy wrote: Thanks a lot!

Just one questione more:

Also the Nobile 50fifty is suitable to kite and park?
About raised edge, in wakeboarding the boards have curved edge like you say, they help with sliders and such so you don't catch an edge ;)
Can you give an example of a board with a curved edge? I would be really interested in trying one, as I've caught more back edges than is healthy for me. Every time I land blind without digging an edge I thank my personal deity.
I don't think they are meant to make it easier to not catch an edge when landing blind, it's more for hitting feature in wakepark and not catch an edge on sliders.

It's just how round/sharp is the edge on the board. In wakeboarding it's pretty common to look at those in the specs, for kite board cross over doesn't look like that info is available...

By the way Saul Custom has a few boards with a grind base too.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't think they are meant to make it easier to not catch an edge when landing blind, it's more for hitting feature in wakepark and not catch an edge on sliders.
catching an edge kiteboarding is not a big deal but in wakeboarding it can knock the wind out of you. I would not be surprised if they did round the rails with that in mind.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ludmil » Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Balser Boy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Hi guys!

Just ask about the boards on the market that have raised edge to use on the park: sliders, kickers, fun box, rails, etc...

Cheers!
Naish Dub and this year's Stomp. Can't remember did the Gambler had it...

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 am

edt wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 pm

catching an edge kiteboarding is not a big deal but in wakeboarding it can knock the wind out of you. I would not be surprised if they did round the rails with that in mind.
Beg to differ on that, have had gnarly edge catches that have knocked the wind out of me, or had me seeing stars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”