Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slack Your Kite ( Handle Pass experts Help)

Forum for kitesurfers
duncan1981
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Bay Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Cruden Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone C4
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Slack Your Kite ( Handle Pass experts Help)

Postby duncan1981 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 am

Lads & Lasses,

I recently viewed the slack your kite post that Toby posted, The video link is pretty formal and useful and probably explains why I generally miss the bar on most days however the dude says that when you load up on your edge for a trick the kite will rise so at some point the rider should steer the kite down.

My question is at what point do you steer the kite down and how much force do you use to steer it down in the following tricks

Blind Judge 3 - I never seem get enough height for this with the kite at 45 so I imagine the kite technique for going in with kite high and steering the kite down to make the pass is key? Does anyone have any insight on what point you steer the kite down for this trick?

Low back mobe - This trick comes and goes with me season to season but the dude in the video seems to have all the time in the world to do this trick, again is the kite higher when going in and if so what are we talking 11 o'clock position? and at what point in the rotation are people steering the kite down?

This is a completely new concept to me so if I come across naive this is why.

Thanks for reading I look forward to any constructive responses

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Re: Slack Your Kite ( Handle Pass experts Help)

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 am

By no means an expert but whenever I do it its more of it a 'flick' rather than a proper steering input. I tend to do it for backside rotations, I like to try keep my kite at 45 as much as poss and so the flick is so minimal I barely do any input to steer back down but it occurs mid trick/rotation usually I think. Like yourself, I'm pretty hit n miss from session to session.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm

duncan1981 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 am

Blind Judge 3 - I never seem get enough height for this with the kite at 45 so I imagine the kite technique for going in with kite high and steering the kite down to make the pass is key?
no
duncan1981 wrote: Does anyone have any insight on what point you steer the kite down for this trick?
wakestyle - lower kite the better your execution
duncan1981 wrote:

Blind Judge 3 - I never seem get enough height for this with the kite at 45
just try to make a pass right after the take off while kite is towing you
duncan1981 wrote:
Low back mobe - This trick comes and goes with me season to season but the dude in the video seems to have all the time in the world to do this trick, again is the kite higher when going in and if so what are we talking 11 o'clock position?
maybe not so high but to get more amplitude with a low mobe you realy need to put your kite maybe a bit higher than 45 dgrs.
But that is the only begining))) then you need a very different and precize timing to not overotate the trick

duncan1981
Rare Poster

Postby duncan1981 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for the tips guys much appreciated,

Zloilyoha; with you technique for back mobe you keep the kite at 45, then precise timing?

Do you tweak the kite down mid trick or pull in hard to your hip halfway through the trick? This trick blows my mind as it comes and goes as sometimes I have it dialled for a few sessions and then it goes :0(

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:58 pm

duncan1981 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Zloilyoha; with you technique for back mobe you keep the kite at 45, then precise timing?
yes, 45 or a bit lower
duncan1981 wrote:

Do you tweak the kite down mid trick or pull in hard to your hip halfway through the trick?
i dont tweak the kite down, at least at tricks such as kgb , bj, heart attack, landings blind you dont need it because yoa are already pulling the bar by your front hand during the pass, so it dives...
from the other side with low mobes, slims, 313 and other i adjusting the position of my front hand to make sure my kite wont fly up right before the passing

duncan1981
Rare Poster

Postby duncan1981 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Ah Great Tip

I think I have a habit of sending the kite up so just put the front hand a bit further down the bar :0) and hey presto! Try this next session

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm

The flick concept is pretty fundamental. I'll try to add to it.

Depending on how powered you are, you might need a little help from the kite to get things done.

45 with steady course is the sweet spot, but if your learning or underpowered, you have to send the kite a bit before you load your lines. You correct it back down with your front hand as you load and pop. Its all done by the time your airborne and passing the bar. You then land heading downwind, and often still have to work to keep the kite low once you regain line tension.

The flick up is when you unweight your edge before digging in for the progressive edge of the pop, and your pulling the front hand as you load and pop. Your hand position on the bar while you load your lines is generally how your going to gauge how much your correcting back down. When you barely flick the kite, both hands are near centre. The more you flick the kite the more your front hand will stay mid grip. The size of the flick is pretty variable depending on conditions from barely perceptible when you only need a bit to totally obvious.

When you pop, the kite shoots forward and yanks hard. Its super sick to shoot the kite as horizontally as possible and super lame to shoot it really vertically, (for straight up passing tricks) but everyone uses some vert from their kite to get better pop. The key is not over doing it. The kite ends up high, you get lame slack and everything looks dangly.

duncan1981
Rare Poster

Postby duncan1981 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks Jumptheshark,

So for the bk mobe and to summarise... tell me if I have this right

As you come off your edge with kite at 45 introduce a small flick up?

As you take that exaggerated edge off the water flick the kite back down again?

Thanks again guys this concept is completely new to me so I really appreciate the tips

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:22 am

NP

Sounds like you get the idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”